Towel rail design : or rather the opposite

We bought ourselves a nice new towel rail. One which switches itself on for a couple of hours, burns your skin when you touch it, and then switches off. Tickety Boo.

Trouble is you have to work hard at getting a towel threaded down the back. And you can only put one towel on the rail.

Musta bin designed by a bloke, eh girls?

One that drops his wet towels on the floor and doesn't care about anyone else using a cold wet towel.

It's just me innit?

I spent ages looking for a wide towel rail, one that would take a couple of bath towels side by side, rather than the daft idea of stacking them on top of each other.  I ended up finding one that was around 1300mm wide, which is ideal, and it has a big enough gap at the back to thread fat (fluffy...) towels down easily.  It wasn't an electric one, but was easy enough to convert with an element and some antifreeze.

57 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I spent ages looking for a wide towel rail, one that would take a couple of bath towels side by side, rather than the daft idea of stacking them on top of each other.  I ended up finding one that was around 1300mm wide, which is ideal, and it has a big enough gap at the back to thread fat (fluffy...) towels down easily.  It wasn't an electric one, but was easy enough to convert with an element and some antifreeze.

Got a link @JSHarris..??

I’ve got a really nice white radiator that has a towel rail fitted on to it but I know the rail alone was about £80.......

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Got a link @JSHarris..??

I’ve got a really nice white radiator that has a towel rail fitted on to it but I know the rail alone was about £80.......

Believe it or not, after a great deal of searching around for a wide rail, without too many bars or being too high, I found it on ebay of all places.  The seller was Company Blue and they still have the same rails available: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1300mm-Wide-400mm-HIgh-Heated-Towel-Rail-Radiator-Chrome-Straight-Bathroom/191256380598?hash=item2c87c4c4b6:g:KOoAAOSwPcVVlAq0

If you want white, then they are a bit cheaper: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1300mm-Wide-Straight-White-Towel-Rail-Radiator-Towel-Radiator-Bathroom-Designer/191343834476?hash=item2c8cfb356c:m:m_Lon_6Feeg6LYVgC0LqcMg

Edited by JSHarris
edited to correct the link
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Thanks @JSHarris that’s perfect ! They do a variety of wider sizes too. 

What is the quality like ..? 

Seems OK to me.  We have the chrome version and it seems reasonable, better than the typical B&Q stuff, probably not up to the quality of some of the designer stuff at three or four times the price.  The poorest part seems to be the wall brackets, which are chrome-plated plastic, but they're perfectly OK in practice and aren't showing any signs of not being up to the job.

We opted for a clothes horse style floor mounted towel rail. Then when I arrived on site I found the plumber mounting it so close to the wall that you couldn't get a towel between it and the wall. Not impressed. Had to shoot off to the plumbers merchant to get him some chrome pipe and fittings so he could put it in a sensible place.

26 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

.... and the knowledge, confidence, experience and skills with which to do so.

You split the anti freeze, a case or two of half decent Chablis will do or perhaps a few bottles of 24 year old malt, into two collections and then offer one each to the local plumber & electrician as barter for them to do the job. 

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

It's pretty easy to do, as there are instructions that come with the rail and element that detail exactly how to do it.  I've done three of these now, one in the old house, two in the new house, and there's very little skill needed.  You just fit the supplied blanking plugs (which have O ring seals, so don't are easy to fit and seal) to one of the top pipe connections and one of the bottom connections (ideally diagonally opposite).  You then fit the heating element into the remaining bottom connection (again it comes with an O ring seal), fill the rail up with corrosion inhibitor, or car antifreeze which already contains inhibitor, leave a very small air gap at the top filler to allow for the slight expansion that will occur when it warms up, then fit the air bleed screw plug to seal the unit, close the bleed screw after tightening the plug and the job's done.

2 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Even the electric ones I bought had to have the element fitted because you can fit different element sizes. They just come with the inhibitor mix installed. I ones I bought were also thermostatic.

http://www.geyser.co.uk/thermostatic-electric-towel-rails-c-56_78.html