Dishwasher repair

It's a bit of a long story (which I probably should tell if only to make others feel better), but I've recently parted company with my kitchen fitter who, despite being a nice bloke with all the right skills, turned out to be a weapons-grade knob-head.  I've got a long list of minor problems to resolve, but the most expensive of which is to fix my brand new Bosch dishwasher that he cut into with a multi tool when finishing off the sink cut-out in the worktop. Yes.  I know.  Wtf?

Anyway, I booked an engineer through Bosch customer services 3 weeks ago, as I didn't want to compromise their 2 year warranty.  On the due date - Tuesday - I chased them up to try and get a more accurate time slot than 0700 - 1700, to be told that someone should have let me know that the engineer wouldn't be coming as he hadn't been sent the spares, and they'd have to arrange another date.

So, bearing in mind that the repair will probably mean replacing the door with the manufacturers data plate on it,  do I persevere with Bosch and their over-priced, lacklustre service, or try an independent for a better value repair, and take my chances with the warranty?  

I'm still trying to figure out how he damaged the door (traditionally located on the front of a dishwasher) when working on a sink cut-out (traditionally located on the work top)??? Oh I see.... he was using the dishwasher as a work bench!

I've found the Bosch spares service quite good when I've ordered bits but do my own repairs. There isn't much to go wrong on a dishwasher. The heating element failed after 10 years but easily replaced. The element is printed onto the outside of a metal tube. Scale on the inside caused local overheating of the printed element.

40 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

It's a bit of a long story (which I probably should tell if only to make others feel better), but I've recently parted company with my kitchen fitter who, despite being a nice bloke with all the right skills, turned out to be a weapons-grade knob-head.  I've got a long list of minor problems to resolve, but the most expensive of which is to fix my brand new Bosch dishwasher that he cut into with a multi tool when finishing off the sink cut-out in the worktop. Yes.  I know.  Wtf?

Anyway, I booked an engineer through Bosch customer services 3 weeks ago, as I didn't want to compromise their 2 year warranty.  On the due date - Tuesday - I chased them up to try and get a more accurate time slot than 0700 - 1700, to be told that someone should have let me know that the engineer wouldn't be coming as he hadn't been sent the spares, and they'd have to arrange another date.

So, bearing in mind that the repair will probably mean replacing the door with the manufacturers data plate on it,  do I persevere with Bosch and their over-priced, lacklustre service, or try an independent for a better value repair, and take my chances with the warranty?  

Whats the damage ..? Unlikely Bosch will know it’s been repaired unless it’s an obscure model and tbh if you keep them clean and descale occasionally they are pretty good for 5-7 years. 

5 hours ago, PeterW said:

[...] they are pretty good for 5-7 years. 

And the rest.

Ours is well over 10 years old now.  Every time I move I seem to celebrate by buying a new Bosch dishwasher. I have never had anything go wrong with any of the  three we bought.

6 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

[...] take my chances with the warranty?  

The machine will be long out of warranty before anything fails. Keep it it clean. Monthly rinse with dishwasher cleaner, twice over Christmas and New Year. Descale twice as often as a kettle if necessary. 

Our Bosch dw is about 20 years old. I've fitted a new mains intake connector on the back and changed the element twice for one from a white goods recycler. You can't get a new element but can still buy the complete instantaneous water heater but it's pricey. They say you can't change the element in them. You can if you have 4 pairs of hands! :)

We have a Hotpoint dishwasher. It moved with us when we came to Scotland and must be 20 years old now. I think I have repaired it 3 times now.  It's presently sitting in our old garage and banned from ever entering the new house.....

3 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

The machine will be long out of warranty before anything fails. Keep it it clean. Monthly rinse with dishwasher cleaner, twice over Christmas and New Year. Descale twice as often as a kettle if necessary. 

Crikey. :S

Remind self to buy dishwasher cleaner and descaler...

The damage is to the black plastic control panel along the top of the door, and very shallow damage to whatever is underneath (inner door I think). Bosch service failed to call me back as promised today with a new date, so based on the positive comments on build quality, I'll go with a local guy. Thanks!

On 17/05/2018 at 23:36, Roundtuit said:

Ouch. Sympathy.

This is a real life Paddington episode.

I have my own tale of woe for another thread, which involves a supplier going bust.

BSH customer service is not what it used to be. They are in the middle of a suicidal efficiency campaign and the accompanying and inevitable disaster it brings with it.

In terms of your experience with the service technician, I dont think you are going to be covered by their warranty for the repair so I assume you will be paying for the repair? If so, get it done yourself. You can buy their spares cheaper online, there is a large body of knowledge of these product and most decent technicians can repair them.

No, not a warranty repair, but was worried about compromising the 2 year warranty by having an 'un-official' repair done.  I've withheld a sum from the kitchen fitters to cover it, but the less I have to part with the better. ? 

I've asked a local independent guy to order the parts and sort it, so thanks for the reassurance.

Agreed. A new dishwasher was the original plan, but whole thing had turned into a Frank Spencer sketch, so the fitter and I agreed to part company.  I've got a snagging list to work through, and they've got 60% of the original invoice value.  I've withheld enough to cover a new dishwasher and the invonvenience, so financially I wont lose out, but you're right, I could have done without the additional hassle...