UFH Cooling without ASHP

55 minutes ago, divorcingjack said:

The back of the house is tight up against a row of knackered old 50's prefab asbestos roofed garages,

Start buying them up, once you own them extend the garden!

• Thanks 1

On 21 May 2018 at 17:41, Triassic said:

Start buying them up, once you own them extend the garden!

It would be cheaper to buy another plot and build another house! They sell for 30-35, 000 each. We had to buy two to get access to the rear of the house - carefully dismantled them and will sell them once we move in. Can't afford to keep them! It's madness, but there are a lot of very expensive houses in town with no off-street parking. A load of them are owned by pension funds too. 

• 4 years later...

A resurrection of an old thread.

I am in a similar position wanting cooling over summer and no heat pump.  The problem is solar gain, and general overheating even with low ambient air temp.   UFH water trapped in floor is around 25/26 degree C.  Location NE Scotland.  Overnight temps generally low to mid teens even in height of summer.

My idea

1000l IBC filled with inhibited water, suitable for UFH.  Suitable valving to connect to UFH mixer and pump. Use UFH pump to circulate from IBC. Heat from floor slowly transferred to IBC, giving a cooler floor, hopefully a cooler house.  Overnight or even during a cool day the secondary pump circulates water through large car radiator and fan to cool IBC to close to ambient.

Can run the fan from 12v battery or 2 and simple car charger.  I think?

I have radiator, fan, battery and charger, can get IBC for £50.  Will need circulation pump, valve and pipes.

1000l of water starting temp 18 end temp 25 will absorb around 8kWh.

Does this daft, workable or need a bit of work.