Pondering caststone window cill options.

I have a gaggle of boring questions...

1. Is £44 / meter a good price for a deep 210mm profile designed to slot under a sash window that will be setback by a full 100mm brick reveal?
  2. Would you fit as the brick courses go up or retro fit once the roof is on?
  3. Is protecting the fitted cills during build with sliced open plastic pipe a good option or is it better to buy something designed for the job?
  4. http://www.ockwells.com/products/external-protection/artstone-armashield-protection

And from an aesthetic angle...

• Does wetcast artstone look utilitarian or posh? I like the wetcast variant and apparently it is stronger, less porous and does not pick up manky weathering stains so quickly.
  • I am thinking of going for a paler Portland colour rather than the stronger bathstone yellow as seen on the other 100,000 Wimpy and Bovis homes produced annually. Has anyone opted for different colour?

Sounds like our build

Wet cast with sash windows

i was going to fit the cils afterwards But once they were delivered I decided to fit as we went along I traded a 600 mil dampcourse and folded them from the inside trapping a piece of ply on top Then fastened the damp under the cil 

I’ll see if I can find some photos

13 hours ago, nod said:

Sounds like our build

Wet cast with sash windows

Good hear I am not the only one who prefers the more costly wetcast version, my local caststone fabricator said it is typically specified for public buildings because it more hard-wearing. My previous commodity Bryant Homes house had the ordinary stuff and over 10 years the caststone turned grey then green on the north side as dirt and algae took up residence in the rough surface.  

I had not considered bedding it down on dpc material the reason been that with the rear 60mm of the cill hanging over the cavity and presumably taking some of the weight of the sash frame it seems preferable to benefit from the adhesion of the bedding mortar. However the same fabricator advises that the bedding mortar should be lime based which is less adhesive, so hay-ho I better wait to see what the architectural technician specifies in the BC drawings.