Insulate between doubled rafters?

Either side of the Velux in our roof, is a doubled rafter. Have a look:

20180516_084005.thumb.jpg.9921c4cf2fa83f9cc00c732d58eddc7a.jpg

There's a slight gap between them, one or two mm: not much, but enough to make me think that something needs to be done. One rafter has a slight twist in it....

• Foam?
  • Bolt?
  • Screw?
  • Ignore?
  • Foam and bolt?
  • Get a life?

That’s my boy, attention to detail all the way. I would have thought bolting them together would get rid of the twist, make them stronger, avoid a gap and stop future movement. I am surprised bolting was not specified, ah crossed posted with Peter.

Edited by joe90
Cross posted

Bolts on smaller Velux windows and doublers are not needed unless you really go past 800mm width as it’s normally to support the trimmers top and bottom and the shortened or removed rafters. 

A coach screw every 600mm will suffice - nothing too difficult to retrofit. 

Thanks Ed.

On the list of things to this week coming. With a little luck this time next week, we'll be ready to felt and batten.

Meanwhile, there are loads of little irritations to finish off on the roof: if I don't get those done, they'll become more than mere irritants.

They'll be 'procrastinants'  a-la @Onoff

Good weather forecast, so all's set well for a productive week.

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You don't use dog tooth washers between abutted joists?

The good old days mate. I've not had that specified for an age, really not necessary unless it's a super-diverse scenario. Wood is nice and uniform these days so a lot better than before ( the old sawn stuff ). For belt n braces I just glue as well as bolt. When the glues gone off you could prob take the bolts out as that's a lot of surface area bonded to the same. 

18 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You don't use dog tooth washers between abutted joists?

I specified it for ours and used the bolts with the fixed plate and teeth in them - dead easy to do as a 1 man job. Like @Nickfromwales I also glued them as they were under the dormer cheeks. 

Standard D4.. the one you stick Egger floor down with is fine as it’s a polyurethane glue

Best one for old school is the powdered resin cascamite .... now that takes some serious abuse !!