Driveway to Distraction !

Ed_MK

For those that know about my aggro with a neighbour across the rd

(the one that wanted to buy our land to build on, but we wouldn't sell it and then
when we put in planning application wrote an 8 page letter objecting and tried to get
neighbours to do the same )

...yeah him!

Well anyway ...have been working on site for a few weeks, and the beam and block is about to come in and a

"Highways Official" turns up and says he has been "told" we are making an illegal access (sigh)

Well we have already MADE it it has been dug out and hardcored !!

I explained that when we applied for PP,  and asked the council about the 278, we were advised by Traffic and Planning
that (as they had now ADOPTED it) we were to 

a) mark the area on the plans (even though it wasn't ours, so it gets done a t the same time)
b) fill in something called a "FORM A" ...which is a one page thingy with details of the work on

and send a copy of BOTH the application and this form to the Highways Department at the same time we submitted our planning
this was in September last year.

We can all guess who is behind this malicious complaining, as the ground-workers have told me that they have been

"filmed" from a window ....no I am serious!

Does anyone have any advice ,please 

Is he allowed to covertly film people? The planning and enforcement people probably know of him but are duty bound to respond.  Just follow the law to the letter.

Are you happy to live there once its done?  How old is he?  

19 minutes ago, CC45 said:

Is he allowed to covertly film people?

Yes and no, as I understand it a lot depends on the reason for filming or taking photos.  I believe that there are also different rules for CCTV and hand-held filming, and that you are pretty much OK just filming something with a hand-held device most of the time, even if it is recording activity on someone else's land.  I think the only restriction is if the recording is being made covertly of an area where there would be an expectation of privacy, the sort of thing that covers peeping tom like actions.  I doubt that anything could be done about someone openly recording activity on a building site, from their own property, with a hand held device.

I do know that for CCTV the rules are different, in that you have to position cameras to avoid invading someone else's privacy.  It's OK to have cameras that include a bit of the public highway, or your side of a boundary fence, but not OK to have fixed cameras that look into a neighbours garden or at their windows.  I ran into this problem when our neighbour opposite cut a very tall Leylandii hedge down, which meant that the background of our front door CCTV camera now included a view into their teenage daughter's bedroom window (since fixed by planting a line of tall trees alongside our drive, as screening).

If the annoying neighbor puts up a CCTV camera...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/domestic-cctv-using-cctv-systems-on-your-property/domestic-cctv-using-cctv-systems-on-your-property

See paragraph 2. This suggests that if a CCTV covers areas outside your property it's no longer exempt from the data protection act. 

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/cctv

That has implications like the need for warning signs and means anyone filmed can ask for copies of recordings. 

No doubt you’ll be getting a procession of ‘officials’ coming to visit, I’d keep a site diary and record your daily doings. I’d Also record time and date of every official visit and make each ‘official’ aware of previous ‘offcials’ visits and your concerns about the neighbour. All this won’t make any difference, but at least if it becomes a trend the officials can take this into account.

We also had a dick head neighbour who like yours rang the council every time I moved something on site ( before we had planning permission) he objected to me using my JCB but I was clearing the ditches around the field attached to our site which was agricultural!! In the end the council were fed up with him so mostly ignored him but it grinds you down. He objected to our application for planning but the building inspector for the Secretary of State who dealt with our appeal dismissed his objections outright. Luckily he has moved ? as others have said, keep a diary and file all council documentation.

2 hours ago, AliG said:

Would it be petty to think that many of your deliveries could accidentally block his driveway.

Might be fun, but winding up people like this just ends up with more grief, I think, especially if you give them a genuine issue to complain about, rather than their very irritating, but essentially harmless, imaginary issues.

5 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Might be fun, but winding up people like this just ends up with more grief, I think, especially if you give them a genuine issue to complain about, rather than their very irritating, but essentially harmless, imaginary issues.

I know, but it's nice to dream.

There is a great fake news story doing the rounds about a guy who won the lottery and then dumped thousands of tonnes of manure on his boss's garden. I don't care that it's fake as it made me smile.

Well, to be honest ..it doesn't get me down ...its just STRANGE.

And I AM doing everything I am asked by Authorities ....so ..

I dont think the lads like it on site ....LOL

un-nerving