Sewage treatment plants

3 minutes ago, Roz said:

Do any of you remember what your install costs were for these? Trying to get price indications  at the moment but we haven't had a percolation test done yet so not 100% sure on the system we will have. 

Did mine myself. A morning to dig the hole (that's me in my own digger in the picture above)  and a day and a half mixing barrowing and pouring concrete into the hole.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Did mine myself. A morning to dig the hole (that's me in my own digger in the picture above)  and a day and a half mixing barrowing and pouring concrete into the hole.

I was wondering how difficult it would be to DIY... especially as the first installation quote we had was £3000, but that did include soakaway. 

I think I'd get confused about what level the plant had to be in order to receive and output the waste. 

How much does that amount of concrete cost for just having to put it at the base? I quick googled the Conder 6 and it came up at £1565 ex vat for the unit.

We don't have our own digger though!

1 hour ago, Stones said:

Not within the unit itself.  It was the box on top of the lid / next to it I didn't want.

Sorry, misread that. Don’t blame you as I am now going to bury mine to 1/ hide it. 2/ make it quieter.  With regards costs because of very wet ground conditions and my JCB weighing soooo much I had to get a contractor with a tracked digger in to bury it and back fill with concrete. At least I was able to use my JCB to load concrete into my dumper and get it round the site to him, I paid about £1100 for contractor and concrete ( a lot of concrete as had to back fill right up to ground level because of the very high water table.

As an additional note, the contractor was worried about digging the hole as on a previous job near me when he got to the last ft or so of the hole he broke into a water table and the hole filled with water very quickly, took two diesel pumps to keep the water out of the hole and much more concrete as the sides fell in. I think I was lucky.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roz said:

Do any of you remember what your install costs were for these? Trying to get price indications  at the moment but we haven't had a percolation test done yet so not 100% sure on the system we will have. 

We also installed ours ourselves with some help from the local farmer. We dug the hole by hand down to the water table then the farmer dug the rest out. We didn't use concrete to hold the tank down but used galvanised irons with chains. The hole was backfilled with type1. The output goes into a reed bed system and then into a soakaway. The air pump housing has the two warning lights and is semi-buried.

ESC00012.thumb.JPG.f1b2fc5fcc590a910e21d5ce5d926878.JPG

P5010015.thumb.JPG.f6a319bbb99512a93f6025dd84793d5f.JPG

DDC00034.thumb.JPG.46187270a167d449a27724bbc9ffd2c7.JPG

7 hours ago, Roz said:

Hard to be sure what the cost was, as it was included in a big ground works contract, but around £1500 to install a pumped outlet Biopure.  That included putting an outlet pipe across the lane and into the stream, so no land drains.

5 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

We also installed ours ourselves with some help from the local farmer. We dug the hole by hand down to the water table then the farmer dug the rest out. We didn't use concrete to hold the tank down but used galvanised irons with chains. The hole was backfilled with type1. The output goes into a reed bed system and then into a soakaway. The air pump housing has the two warning lights and is semi-buried.

That is one hell of a neat hole that. Well done.

• Like 1

On 11/01/2019 at 16:42, PeterStarck said:

wow, how long did it take you to dig that by hand? 

5 minutes ago, Roz said:

wow, how long did it take you to dig that by hand? 

IIRC about a day or so. Mind you it was nearly nine years ago and I was a lot fitter then as I was doing a lot of digging at the time.

P4290009.thumb.JPG.3d14cfecec6c134d9072ad21dcda3c98.JPG

P6260004.thumb.JPG.a7f56426a8cb7be97c50a197c9a00119.JPG

2 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

IIRC about a day or so. Mind you it was nearly nine years ago and I was a lot fitter then as I was doing a lot of digging at the time.

P4290009.thumb.JPG.3d14cfecec6c134d9072ad21dcda3c98.JPG

P6260004.thumb.JPG.a7f56426a8cb7be97c50a197c9a00119.JPG

Look at that soil! You don't miss the clay up this way then? :)

13 hours ago, Onoff said:

Look at that soil! You don't miss the clay up this way then? :)

No, there's a lot of sandy clay around here although the geology in this area changes very quickly over a short distance as we are on an old coast line with the marshes. Here, is Overland, which as the name suggests was a raised area of land on the edge of the marshes.

• 2 years later...

@ProDave

Hi, how are you getting on with the treatment plant? 

I narrowed ours down to a Bio pure before Christmas but now favouring the Conder for several reasons. 

I like to plan/research a lot of the bigger stuff often well in advance often decide on something then when the time comes to order research again (going over everything I’d read before!!?). But am buying now!!

Yes the Conder is quietly doing it's stuff, no issues.

It is due for a pump out but I could not find anyone that would do it last year (quite why a 1 man outdoor essential job was shut down I just don;t know) so will try again when we get a dry spell hopefully in the spring.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Yes the Conder is quietly doing it's stuff, no issues.

It is due for a pump out but I could not find anyone that would do it last year (quite why a 1 man outdoor essential job was shut down I just don;t know) so will try again when we get a dry spell hopefully in the spring.

Thanks contacted dozen online and local merchants had a few come back with a Marsh Ensign, so will have to look into that. Although I do like the look of the cone type plants. 

48 minutes ago, General-Lee said:

Thanks contacted dozen online and local merchants had a few come back with a Marsh Ensign, so will have to look into that. Although I do like the look of the cone type plants. 

Travis perkins were the cheapest I found for the Conder.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am now ready to buy and install a treatment plant. I have looked at the plants recommended on here and have also read through a website on what to look for. One of the things that stood out, was about it being adjustable. The only one that looked adjustable was the Vortex, so I called the company. I found out from them that, as long as 2 people are feeding the plant then it doesn't need to be adjustable. They also mentioned that, due to the sloping plot, I would need to have a concrete base and then also concrete around the plant to the top.

Due to finding out that it doesn't need to be adjustable, now gives me options for other plants. The other thing that I have noticed is that, where the plant is being positioned, the ground level is around 1m higher than the drainage levels. As the inlets are nearer the top of the plants, I will also need a riser and I'm not sure how this would work with the Vortex. The other thing I'd prefer is to not have a large box on show and to have it included in side the plant.

Can somebody please confirm that I will need to have a concrete base and then concrete the whole plant in?

Do all plants come with riser accessories, so I can increase it?

Thanks.

The requirement to concrete it in is dependant on your ground water levels.  You don't want the empty tank (when it is pumped out) floating up out of the ground because the water table is high.

Check with each of the manufacturers, some make risers to allow the unit to be buried deeper in the ground.

2 minutes ago, deuce22 said:

How do you know what the water table height is?

Before the build started I dug three 2M deep trial pits for the structural engineer to asses the ground conditions.  I left one of them open just covered with a board.  I frequently looked down this hole over the winter and found anything from a 2M deep empty hole, to a hole full of water within 6 inches of the surface.

44 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Before the build started I dug three 2M deep trial pits for the structural engineer to asses the ground conditions.  I left one of them open just covered with a board.  I frequently looked down this hole over the winter and found anything from a 2M deep empty hole, to a hole full of water within 6 inches of the surface.

If I did this on my site, it would fill up, but from surface water that's running down the mountain. Does this have anything to do with the water table? 

44 minutes ago, TonyT said:

I’ve seen a few contractors adding a wire rope to the lifting eyes and putting this under a square of reinforcing mesh, then concretes effectively the tank is secured that way with a mass of concrete

That is an option, but it's whether the warranty is still valid. The person from Vortex said "unless it has a concrete base and then surrounded with concrete to the top, the warranty is invalid". 

I'll speak to a couple of the other companies and see what they require.

Thanks.

I'm now looking at the Conder ASP08 as it has nothing extra to add on top, has extension accessories and has a 700mm invert. I spoke with them and asked what the difference was between that and the Conder Solido and was told that the Solido only comes on twice per day, so uses less electric. She did mention that the ASP requires less mantainance and needs de-sludging between 1 and 3 years.

I was also told that the whole plant needs concreting, I'm assuming this is different to what they told you Dave.

We are putting in a BioFicient 1. As you can see from the below the plan was for it to discharge to a partial soakaway which will in turn discharge to a stream. The surface water goes to a filter drain then also discharges into the stream. 

The question is do I actually need the partial soakaway? I've read that you don't for a treatment plant? 

As I'm in Scotland I looked up SEPA for guidance which refers to Code Of Practice Drainage Fields For The Disposal Of Effluent From Bs En 12566 Certified Packaged Wastewater Treatment Plants And Septic Tanks Df-V0.1-2020 at www.britishwater.co.uk

This has confused me even more are it states: "The terms drainage field and soakaway are sometimes used interchangeably as if they are the same thing and perform the same function. They do not."  Then reads: "Drainage fields, or soakaways in Scotland, are an important component of the wastewater treatment system"

and further:

"It is essential that as an owner of a Packaged Wastewater Treatment Plant or Septic Tank you do not inadvertently agree to have a soakaway installed, which should only be used with surface water, not with wastewater. "  

image.thumb.png.02413c596da9e983d02fa6b0ac52f630.png

It all depends what SEPA say on your discharge permit.

I found SEPA were against discharge to a watercourse and only allowed that for us after we had submitted 2 different schemes to building control  that had both been rejected.  Only then did they grant a discharge permit which stipulates the partial soakaway.