Sewage treatment plants

Hi All.

I am about to put in a sewage treatment plant for our new build and I am a bit confused as to which one to choose.

The plant will sit in a field and discharge into a ditch. We are currently favouring an electric one and the Vortex looks good https://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/vortex-eco-p-7341.html

Any advice / details of personal experience will be appreciated.

I suspect you can beat that price. In my case (not a Vortex) the local Travis Perkins beat all the on line suppliers

There are a lot to choose from, any of the air blower ones will do the job, I have a Conder ASP and several on here have the Biopure and Graff is mentioned a lot.

I would avoid any with moving mechanical parts e.g biodisc

https://www.septictank-supplies.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=66

When I was looking, I narrowed it down to a choice of 3, a Condor, Biopure and Vortex.  I couldn't get the Condor delivered to my location for a sensible price (or source it through the local BMs) which is a pity because it has one big advantage over the Biopure - there is a separate built in chamber for the air pump, i.e. you do not have to lift the air pump out in order to empty or check that the plant is functioning.  

I went with the Biopure in the end as I wanted to house the air pump within the unit.  The air pump for the vortex sits on top of the unit, not something I wanted, and it was a little more expensive (delivered) to my location than the Biopure.

6 minutes ago, Stones said:

When I was looking, I narrowed it down to a choice of 3, a Condor, Biopure and Vortex.  I couldn't get the Condor delivered to my location for a sensible price (or source it through the local BMs) which is a pity because it has one big advantage over the Biopure - there is a separate built in chamber for the air pump, i.e. you do not have to lift the air pump out in order to empty or check that the plant is functioning.  

I went with the Biopure in the end as I wanted to house the air pump within the unit.  The air pump for the vortex sits on top of the unit, not something I wanted, and it was a little more expensive (delivered) to my location than the Biopure.

Interesting as I have just installed my Vortex and err indoors said” wots that orrible box in the middle of the garden”. I just looked at it and the water level inside is about 700mm below ground level and I think I could lower the box into the lid to make it almost flush. Might muck up the warranty but would look a lot better.

178B4703-DE15-4168-8D9D-8C0CCB54DF3D.jpeg

Since we are doing "show me yours" here is the Conder ASP6

conder.thumb.jpg.c8e920d294ad9219cb41e1e27dab2567.jpg

The big green lid in the middle with the air vent is the chamber that holds the air blower.

The small green lid off to the right is a cap that you unscrew and that's where the hose goes down to pump it out.

I have already had a "complaint"  Could I make that right hand cap flush with the ground please as it gets in the way when mowing the grass.......

22 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Interesting as I have just installed my Vortex and err indoors said” wots that orrible box in the middle of the garden”. I just looked at it and the water level inside is about 700mm below ground level and I think I could lower the box into the lid to make it almost flush. Might muck up the warranty but would look a lot better.

178B4703-DE15-4168-8D9D-8C0CCB54DF3D.jpeg

There is a lift out 'tray' inside the Biopure in which the air pump sits, so visually, all we have is the lid of the unit.  You do however have to lift the tray out to access the internals of the unit.  Having to build a housing to hide the box was something I didn't want to have to bother about hence my decision.

24 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I think I could lower the box into the lid to make it almost flush. Might muck up the warranty but would look a lot better.

the main risk of recessing the pump box is that it could potentially flood in a heavy rainstorm

We had planned evergreen shrubs around it but if it could be recessed even better. I don’t think it would flood as the outlet is as large as the inlet, rainwater cannot enter it and there would still be 40pmm from water level to base of container. Best not to alter a good design tho ?

• 7 months later...

Hi, I am trying to choose which sewage treatment plant for up to 6 persons with discharge into a stream.  The Vortex and the Biopure seem to be mentioned most.  Any recommendations?

Also, I will be having a water softener (probably a Kinetico Premier) fitted.  The water softener needs an drain outlet (I believe this is for the waste salt solution).  Can anyone advise me if this outlet can feed into the treatment plant or does it have to be to to the groundwater drainage.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Basically any of the plants that work on the Air Blower principle. That includes the Biopure, Vortex, Conder, and Graff units. When I was looking all these air blower units had very similar performance and were way better than units that have some mechanical process. Often the actual choice is down to which you can get locally for a reasonable price.  Surprisingly, Travis Perkins gave the best price for my Conder unit and it was delivered to site by their own wagon.

I have the Conder 6 person plant and it is doing it's job very well. Mine discharges to the burn and what comes out is a clear odourless liquid.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, D Walter said:

Hi, I am trying to choose which sewage treatment plant for up to 6 persons with discharge into a stream.  The Vortex and the Biopure seem to be mentioned most.  Any recommendations?

Also, I will be having a water softener (probably a Kinetico Premier) fitted.  The water softener needs an drain outlet (I believe this is for the waste salt solution).  Can anyone advise me if this outlet can feed into the treatment plant or does it have to be to to the groundwater drainage.  Thanks.

Ours is a WPL diamond DMS2 but the air blower plants are all fairly similar. It's the installation detailing where they tend to differ.

We have a Harveys block salt water softener which discharges into our utility room waste and into the treatment plant.

We've had the treatment plant installed nearly nine years without serious problems.

• Like 1

We have a Biopure fitted.  Much of a muchness in terms of performance to the others listed.  I was somewhat restricted in what I could get delivered to my location.  Having seen @ProDave installation, it has the added benefit of a separate emptying point, i.e. you do not have to take off the main lid / remove the air blower to empty it, which you do with the Biopure (if you choose to house the air blower in the unit rather than remotely).  I didn't want to have to remotely house the air blower which ruled out the Vortex, although on the plus size it does have a built in sample point and a system for adjusting the amount of air going into the unit.

• Like 1

I can vote for the vortex, easy to instal and very clean output. Don’t quite get what @Stones said above, our blower is not remote, sits on top or right next to the unit. I and others in quiet locations have found the air pump louder than we thought, I will be burying mine next summer into the ground to make it quieter and less obtrusive.

The plan for my new house was to connect to the mains foul pipe, however Scottish Water Still haven't adopted it, which means I may need to install a septic tank.

I asked our ground worker to provide a quote for installing a septic tank.

Can you give me feedback on the proposed costs please as the actual cost of a septic tank appears to be fairly cheap and I thought that the installation wouldn't require too much work?

1870088043_septictank.PNG.f8587ea08e5920187bbdb118df7bac3f.PNG

On 18/05/2018 at 12:24, ProDave said:

Could I make that right hand cap flush with the ground please as it gets in the way when mowing the grass.......

Your lucky “someone” is mowing the grass!

9 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I can vote for the vortex, easy to instal and very clean output. Don’t quite get what @Stones said above, our blower is not remote, sits on top or right next to the unit. I and others in quiet locations have found the air pump louder than we thought, I will be burying mine next summer into the ground to make it quieter and less obtrusive.

Not within the unit itself.  It was the box on top of the lid / next to it I didn't want.

The reason I chose the Conder, is we have seasonally high water table so it needed concreting in.  Around the bottom is a "ring" and it only needs concreting in to that level to anchor it.  It also has 3 legs to stand on while you are pouring the concrete.

Here it is about to go in the hole, you can see the details I am referring to.

in_she_goes.thumb.jpg.9a2d4c79c3577f649d77e436566566a7.jpg

You can also see at the top there is a little bit sticking up with a green cap on it. That is the access to insert the pump out hose.

This is the finished install.  The big green lid in the middle houses the blower pump and the smaller green cap to the right in this picture is the emptying point.

conder.thumb.jpg.c8e920d294ad9219cb41e1e27dab2567.jpg

What was mentioned before is the BioPure units require you to lift out the air blower box to get access to the emptying point.