Insulation cutter

17 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

Brilliant.......i tried to make something similar before I started my roof but I couldn't get the saw blade to fit in the lathe :( 

unless I try cutting and sharpening it while it is in the table saw.......  ?

Please video that

55 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

Brilliant.......i tried to make something similar before I started my roof but I couldn't get the saw blade to fit in the lathe :( 

unless I try cutting and sharpening it while it is in the table saw.......  ?

If it's not a TCT blade, then using an angle grinder whilst the blade is spinning on the table saw should work OK.  I've done something similar with a Dremel grinding wheel on hardened steel spinning in the lathe - it's the way I sharpen centre punches, just to save softening them, turning a new point, then hardening and tempering them again.

I wouldn't try it with a TCT saw blade, though, as they will chew up the angle grinder and probably spit bboken TCT blade tips out, as the brazed joints holding the TCT tips give way.

Bullet Tools who make the manual, push cutter bench in the video do some rather interesting blades:

https://www.bullettools.com/blades/

Ref the circular saw blades they do 10" (254mm) and 7.25"(184mm) 15.875mm ones. But the 0.625" bore is 15.875mm. My Evolution 185mm circular saw has a 16mm bore so guessing the American one wouldn't fit? 

They appear to also do a similar hand saw to the one @PeterStarck was given to cut his icynene.

I couldn't find the  push cutter in the video on the site, mind I am waiting for the Neurofen to kick in! 

I just tried (on the quiet :ph34r: ) a cheapo pizza wheel on a bit of 25mm pir. Cuts it like a dream! You need to ideally push the blade against the non foiled end like in the video. Pushing the blade into the foiled face and there's some resistance. 

I wonder how thick a say 300mm dia blade would need to be to remain rigid whilst offering as little resistance as possible?

Scale it up and job done!

20180513_093549.thumb.jpg.cf82999411e350528ac212432acb43f6.jpg

We screwed a Stanley blade at 45 degrees to the end of a piece of batten and added a tee at the other end parallel to the blade. It cut 350mm slices of 25mm in seconds with a cut through the top, spin it over then along the back. 

Made for very consistent and easy cutting !!