Is this Pex Al Pex pipe any good?

ProDave

I am sourcing all my UFH components individually this time rather than buying a kit.  And first off, I need the pipe.

This one from Germany is coming in at typically half the price I can find anything in the UK https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEX-AL-PEX-Underfloor-heating-pipe-pipe-16mm-x-2mm-300m-rolls-WRAS-approved/263265218704?hash=item3d4bd47090:g:NbYAAOSwZZlZ5FZI

The same stuff appears to be on sale by several different German sellers for almost identical prices.

Would you feel safe using it?

I used Pex Al Pex  16 by 2 for the UFH in my last house and didn't have a problem. It's a 2 person job unwinding a big coil like that, but generally Pex Al Pex bends and stays bent.

So it wasn't a question of is this the right pipe, but rather would you trust a product from Germany that's half the price of anything I can find in the UK, has all the correct approvals, but no sign of a manufacturers name that I can see in any of the photographs.

45 minutes ago, Triassic said:

How much of the branded stuff is made in China?

A lot...

There is a significant thought process that everything that comes out of China is crap - it’s not .... There are some very good manufacturers who produce high quality products and it’s sheer economies of scale that allow them to produce at lower prices. 

There is a lot of crap out there from across the world - it’s not just limited to China !

• Like 1

Here’s a link to a site manufacturing pipe in China for info. 

http://m.sunplastpipe.com/multilayer-pipe/astm-f-1281-standard-en-iso21003-standard-ce.html

The following suggests that they supply to companies who wish to sell with their own branding? 

Markings on the pipe

Customer's logo can be stamped

If reclaiming the tax is important check whether they will supply something that HMRC will allow otherwise the cost differential is less. 

And if you do order via the original link it appears that they will accept a ‘best offer’ from feedback received. 

Worth an enquiry to ask for a free sample maybe? 

iPhones are made in China ;)

I wouldn't touch a iPhone with a bargepole!!!! ???   

I am happy to stick to something that has been installed locally for over 20 years with no problems. 

It would be interesting on how much it costs direct.... buildhub group purchase.... 20km of 16mm buildhub branded mlcp..... 

Edited by Alexphd1

25 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

I wouldn't touch a iPhone with a bargepole!!!!

Ha ha, don’t you think that’s why I wrote that, so someone would bite  :D. Marmite. Love mine. 

Wonder if there are uk sellers who buy pipe from such factories though and rebrand it? I didn’t know my solar thermal panels were Chinese until @billt told me. 

• Like 1