Like  NHBC warrantees Unlikely to be able to claim 

As self builders they would just put it back to the builder ourselfs 

But As has been covered on several occasions a nessesary evil

i had this conversation before starting our build

With a friend who was just finishing his build

He always intended selling 

But didn’t bother with a warrantee

As he could get one retrospectively for around 3k

Hes just sold and said it never came up and was only asked for the completion notice and SE reports

I think when we last discussed this Russel pointed out what a waste of money they were If I was to do another self build I wouldn’t bother with a warrantee and add one later if I ever had to sell in the next ten years

But then I wouldn’t have nice piec of paper telling me everything was perfect ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn’t think mine was worth buying TBH and 2.5k seemed a lot at the time, but as my build took far longer than expected and circumstances changed meaning that I will almost certainly sell up within the 10 years after completion at least I have the comfort that I have a piece of paper if needed. Well almost, because this thread reminded me that I needed to provide them with the completion certificate to receive the piece of paper. Paying for it is a distant memory TBH so neither here nor there now. 

The house next door doesn’t have a warranty (purchased from a small builder), and nor does it have a completion certificate either as it happens (unbeknown to them until I received mine and the council mentioned it). They have a mortgage on it so clearly the mortgage company didn’t want to see evidence of either. I imagine their 10 year period will start from when they finally get the completion certificate even though they have been living there for 10 years already. 

My decision to not bother with a warranty was based on my experience with NHBC being a waste of time (bought a new house years ago and found out the hard way that the NHBC warranty wasn't worth the paper it was written on) and the fact that the next house we bought was someone else's self-build, with no warranty, and all our lender needed was a single premium insurance policy from the vendor, that cost them less than a warranty would have.

We have no intention of selling, but I'm quite happy to just buy a one-off insurance policy if we absolutely have to sell within 10 years of completion.  The chances are that would still be cheaper and less hassle.

• Like 1

I am with Buildzone. £1400 for 147 sq mtr.

Local Authority for BC.

Although warranty probably not worth much in the event of a claim it is necessary for most mortgage lenders if ever needed to sell.

Retrospective warranty is very expensive.

I have found it quite useful as the warranty surveyor has been really thorough & helpful with advice.

He is familiar with timber frame construction & the importance of the insulation & airtightness standards we are looking to achieve.

Local BC are less familiar with our type of build but interested & helpful where they can be.

As I am a novice 2 pairs of eyes has been reassuring.

One thing I am about to sort out is that surveyor has emailed asking for various things following his last inspection, no problem, but he has said that our PV is not covered.

I understand that they will not warranty the individual panels, but, as it is an in roof system & forms part of the roof covering I want them to cover that aspect of it.

I was not excluded on the policy and they were fully aware of it when they quoted.

Just got our quotes back from retrospective warranty  companies and between 5-6k ?

didnt think we would need a mortgage as have a house to sell but property market very slow, very expensive piece of paper!

We finally received our Build Zone Warranty yesterday. We took out the warranty when we started the build eight years ago and paid £1299.25. The insurance premium part of the cost was £535.50 inc. tax and the remainder was site visits, paperwork etc.

Now I’m in two minds.

i don’t need a warranty for myself.

I’ll only need one if things go bad financially (fingers crossed they won’t).

so question is, how much extra is it to buy the warranty in the event of selling, who should I approach and what is the name of the product I am asking for?

38 minutes ago, Adamantium said:

so question is, how much extra is it to buy the warranty in the event of selling, who should I approach and what is the name of the product I am asking for?

Have a look at BuildZone. They offer warranties for completed houses. 

https://www.build-zone.com/self-custom-build-warranty

22 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

We finally received our Build Zone Warranty yesterday. We took out the warranty when we started the build eight years ago and paid £1299.25. The insurance premium part of the cost was £535.50 inc. tax and the remainder was site visits, paperwork etc.

I’m glad you got yours ok after 8 years. Mine has been 9 and I thought they might take issue with it being so long but your experience reassures me. I’ve just requested mine. I hope they don’t need to come out again. The last inspection was at the stage where the building work was was ok with the council but there was a long and protracted delay over the paper trail that was finally resolved at the end of last year. 

Mine was circa 2.5k on a 350 sq m house but that included a £115 inspection / survey at the start that seems to have been paid to Zurich but for what I’m not entirely sure and don’t even remember anyone coming out. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/05/2018 at 09:30, PeterStarck said:

@PeterStarck can I please ask you how long Build Zone took to send your warranty through. I sent them the completion certificate a month ago and have heard nothing. Not sure if that's usual or whether I need to chase. Thanks! 

56 minutes ago, newhome said:

@PeterStarck can I please ask you how long Build Zone took to send your warranty through. I sent them the completion certificate a month ago and have heard nothing. Not sure if that's usual or whether I need to chase. Thanks! 

It was a bit of a saga really. We got our completion certificate on 28/2/18 and we sent all the paperwork off to BuildZone on 8/3/18. Their surveyor made his final visit a week later and then we heard nothing for two months. I contacted them and apparently they had a new computer system and had lost my paperwork. So it was all sent again and I finally got the warranty on 15/5/18. I would certainly chase them.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

It was a bit of a saga really. We got our completion certificate on 28/2/18 and we sent all the paperwork off to BuildZone on 8/3/18. Their surveyor made his final visit a week later and then we heard nothing for two months. I contacted them and apparently they had a new computer system and had lost my paperwork. So it was all sent again and I finally got the warranty on 15/5/18. I would certainly chase them.

Thanks. The last time the surveyor came out he said that he didn't need to come out again as it was all complete bar a couple of tiny things that I was struggling to get someone finish off so that the council would issue the completion certificate. So once I managed to get the completion certificate I sent it to BuildZone and requested the warranty. I will chase them next week. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/06/2018 at 19:22, newhome said:

Thanks. The last time the surveyor came out he said that he didn't need to come out again as it was all complete bar a couple of tiny things that I was struggling to get someone finish off so that the council would issue the completion certificate. So once I managed to get the completion certificate I sent it to BuildZone and requested the warranty. I will chase them next week. 

Just as an update to this I rang BuildZone last Monday and clearly no one had acted on the email I sent. He promised to look into it and I subsequently received an email that went like this:

Good Morning XXX,

Hope you’re well.

Just had XXXX on the phone asking about her certificate.

From the latest RN it appears as though you’re waiting on the oil/gas cert, are you able to tell me what is outstanding so I can go direct to the client?

So he sent that to me, not the surveyor 9_9. I replied to that effect and also that I didn't have an oil or gas boiler as I had told them before and can clearly be seen by the photo the surveyor took that is in the report. He replied that he would wait to hear back from the surveyor (just hope he forwarded the email on). I'll give it a week or so and chase again. 

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...
On 23/06/2018 at 12:49, newhome said:

Just as an update to this I rang BuildZone last Monday and clearly no one had acted on the email I sent. He promised to look into it and I subsequently received an email that went like this:

And another update. The surveyor told me that he had sent an updated report to Buildzone on 5th July. I have still heard nothing so have chased again. Buildzone may be considered to be one of the leaders in the market but I am seriously unimpressed with their service so far especially as @PeterStarck had issues with getting his warranty too. It's been 2 and a half months since I sent them the completion certificate.