Options for Utility Room Extension

Bits of this don't quite fit the title, but the sub sub sub forum said it was lonely.

I have a small detached property on a largish plot (650sqm) with a long term tenant (5 yrs +). T has asked for a "utility" room, which really means somewhere for stuff for pets, second fridge, garden sink etc. I'm fairly happy to spend on it within reason. The T may well be there for another decade.

However, the ultimate logical use for the house will be an extension from 2 bed, 1 recept, to upscale 3/4 bed 2 recept, as that is what the plot will take. Would cost perhaps 60-80k at current prices, and I would  more than get it back on sale, but it would be crazy to do that as it would be a terrible rental return and not relevant to the current tenant. 

A - Going for full PP for a finished plan, and putting the foundations in to lock it in, and either building part of it designed to be a suitable room, or putting eg a leanto garage on the slab with an external grade door from the existing.

B - Putting in a single garage for now, then removing later if I extend in a decade or so, with an external door from the existing. The garage could either be a simple concrete sectional leanto, or something insulated and heated.

C - Build on a single story extension. That feels like 12-20k by the time it is done.

To my eye A looks too complicated, as I do not feel a great need to lock in the PP now. So I think that this is a KISS project, and probably a single garage is the option - ideally one that can be reused elsewhere later.

Does anyone have any views on the options.

Any recommendation for garage builders?

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I'd say C has to be the low risk option, and putting in a beefier foundation isn't likely to add much at all to the cost (unless the ground conditions are difficult).  The return on investment for the small extension will still probably be enough in terms of added value to get the cost back after a few years, assuming there's not another big crash in house prices coming along, and there doesn't seem to be any strong indicators that this will happen.