Letting a tradesman go...

I've just had to have the difficult conversation with a  plasterer:

"I've had a look at the work you did yesterday... it's probably because you're not used to multi-finish... but it's not what I'm looking for"

I'd initially booked him for today as well, but he didn't want to stay and patch up some old sand and cement.

I feel so harsh as I've basically just shat on his 40+ years plastering experience and he's a nice guy, but it's going to take at least half a day to fill and sand down the work he did yesterday.

18 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

I've just had to have the difficult conversation with a  plasterer:

"I've had a look at the work you did yesterday... it's probably because you're not used to multi-finish... but it's not what I'm looking for"

I'd initially booked him for today as well, but he didn't want to stay and patch up some old sand and cement.

I feel so harsh as I've basically just shat on his 40+ years plastering experience and he's a nice guy, but it's going to take at least half a day to fill and sand down the work he did yesterday.

If he’s rough after 40 year 

It’s a good job you didn’t get him a few years back

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I doubt he would be able to make a living for 40 years if he's always been this bad, I feel sorry for him because I can only assume his eyesight and sense of touch is failing.

I will post a pic of the filled and sanded wall in the latter half of next week, then I probably won't feel so bad!

6 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

What is even harsher is that, after 40 years, his poor practice is still - to some - acceptable.

A lot of the plastering companies have an army of fillers that go in after mist costing and fill everything 

i skimed our five bed bed in a week 

Paited our last weekend Just a couple of knocks to fill were the skirtings have pushed the corner in

BB185DD3-5E26-4195-83AB-547932F9E904.jpeg

FD1581CF-9CE8-4253-8DFB-FFBE3D647E9D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Oh god I have a funny one about sacking a painter, it probably won’t sound as funny in print, but I still chuckle as I think about it. 

So the painter had well and truly annoyed me, so he was going to be leaving from a top floor window if he ever showed up,

i spent an hour going around the house and collected all his tools and stacked them in the drive for if he ever showed up, 

an hour later he appeared so I made a sarcastic remark about being 2 hours late, he made the mistake of saying something stupid back, so I picked up his tools, buckets rollers steps and proceeded to throw them at him across the road,

tools flying everywhere the road littered with rollers and brushes, I launched a couple of milk crates at him but he was managing to bob and weave as the barrage of things rained down. 

As I was in full flow a van pulled up with the carpet layers on board, one of them lent out the window and said to my mate who was leaning on a shovel watching “should we come back later “. Cool as a cucumber I turned round and said, hang on lads I will be finished in a minute. 

Well You had to be there to appreciate it.  

One of my most outstanding moments in life. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Oh god I have a funny one about sacking a painter, it probably won’t sound as funny in print, but I still chuckle as I think about it. 

So the painter had well and truly annoyed me, so he was going to be leaving from a top floor window if he ever showed up,

i spent an hour going around the house and collected all his tools and stacked them in the drive for if he ever showed up, 

an hour later he appeared so I made a sarcastic remark about being 2 hours late, he made the mistake of saying something stupid back, so I picked up his tools, buckets rollers steps and proceeded to throw them at him across the road,

tools flying everywhere the road littered with rollers and brushes, I launched a couple of milk crates at him but he was managing to bob and weave as the barrage of things rained down. 

As I was in full flow a van pulled up with the carpet layers on board, one of them lent out the window and said to my mate who was leaning on a shovel watching “should we come back later “. Cool as a cucumber I turned round and said, hang on lads I will be finished in a minute. 

Very good

it reminds me of Micheal Atherton had just gone out to bat for England His wife answered his phone Told the selector he had just gone out to bat But added I’m sure he will be back in a few minutes

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

It sounds equally as funny in print. PMSL. :D 

Builder fired brickie doing garden walls last week. I think it's the only time someone has been fired during the build.

Was fed up with him apparently spending all day talking and not working. Also he apparently was taking a very strong interest in the house, the window frames, when I was away working etc.

The next night the chains were cut holding the site security gates closed. We have had no issues in two years of building. Bizarrely nothing was taken. I got a much sturdier replacement chain. Weird thing is the pedestrian gate isn't even locked as we have moved in.

The builder did call the brickie just to make sure that he knew he was under suspicion.

• Sad 1