Render / cladding quotes a bit of a shock

What is !!

Don't tell me ....titanium Coated and Anodised to within an inch of their life with a unique reverse cross thread plug-fitting, countersunk, self sealing taper shoulder...
..inspired by the fixings used in the sidewalls of NASA's Martian lander, which in turn was developed by a designer working underground in New Mexico using technology
"borrowed" from remnants of a flying saucer that crashed in New Mexico just after the war, subtley adapted from rare earth minerals and elements from Meteorites ?

Am I close ??

Or failing that ....nip down to Screwfix and get a punnet of these bad boys ...Will do the job! :)

I think it was that famous philospher/psycologist Nietzsche that once said ....

.."There are many Questions in life, deep and Mysterious enigmas and puzzles ...But almost NONE that cannot be solved with either a 5cm Spax Screw, a 2lb
lump hammer or a Tin of Expanding Foam Filler"...

..actually no ..it was Bald Trevor down the Jewsons trade counter ..I always get them 2 confused !

spaxpax.jpg

Erm.....NO! Go for it if you want but I tried ordinary st/st wood screws and self drill "into metal" screws through Aqua Panel and they tore it to shreds and didn't countersink properly.

Ok

The “architect” at Potton hasn’t even read his own spec as it recommends to use pre-bagged render and not sand and cement.

Those instructions also say you have to fix the Rendalath or similar before the roof is fixed ..?? When are you roofing as it says to do it before the eaves boards are fitted. 

@nod do you know where to get Rendalath or one of the render carriers from at a decent price ..??

17 minutes ago, Ed_MK said:

Balls 

OK

Not sure if the screws are different but I used the indoor Aqua Panel:

20170815_164109

I wanted to drill through the AP, through the 9mm ply and into the blue metal wc frame:

20170812_155111

The self drill screws chewed the AP to bits. I just od'd on the Sikaflex EBT. 

Edited by Onoff

20 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Ok

The “architect” at Potton hasn’t even read his own spec as it recommends to use pre-bagged render and not sand and cement.

Those instructions also say you have to fix the Rendalath or similar before the roof is fixed ..?? When are you roofing as it says to do it before the eaves boards are fitted. 

@nod do you know where to get Rendalath or one of the render carriers from at a decent price ..??

Hi Peter ..I am even more perplexed.I was told by the Timber Frame erectors ...they exclusively work for Potton ..although different company name (i believe)

To "get painting the accessory wood as soon as it lands" ...So i spent 3 days ..maybe more sanding, Treating, Priming Undercoating and then 2 coats of Satin to finish

All Weather shield specced stuff 

these bits were i believe ....

* long bits with sharp point ...loads of them! ....rafter feet?

* Small triangle bits ...about 40 of them fiddly to pain sprockets?

* 8ft long floppy  9mm plyboard things about a foot across ......for near the rafter feet ..apparently you can see them looking up ...so paint faces down, lots of these too

you cant see anywhere near the lot in these pics of my improvised painting area :)

* Oh and right at the end i got asked to  paint a load of bloody heavy 10in x 1.5in boards ...must have been 12 foot long ...weight a ton!

these are the ones you can see that run around the edge and have a pretty "chamfer detail" in them ..not sure what they are called

Now the reason for the frantic paint was that apparently its EASIER to do on the ground than once they are fitted..I just did as I was told Peter

As you can see from the last pictures these are now all up ...I may have to touch up here and there nail holes and scratches but essentially done

But regarding current of the roof //progress ...its 90% felted ...and the roofers are all set to tile (see last piccie)

20180620_154343.jpg

20180620_154407.jpg

20180623_154644.jpg

20180623_154701.jpg

20180623_154712.jpg

house_pic.jpg

Looks lovely... how do you fit the render stop under those eaves..??

from the Potton builders guide 

34173196-5971-4AE1-A210-54AF7A16EB18.thumb.jpeg.ac126fafb1f57690f2d454cd593b4d6d.jpeg

So  either Potton or their appointed contractor has it incorrect..?

D2140D13-AEDD-4947-A387-0943C783366B.thumb.jpeg.1ca73cf00dfed91155b6898f70efd80b.jpeg

And this states Rendalath first then timber detail boards before render

It also mentions Potton Contract Manager - who’s that and where are they in all this ..?? Does he arrive on a unicorn at the stroke of midnight ..??

Balls !

I remember asking that ..but was told .." a  lot of clients did it this way" ?!?! 

As Potton/TF Company include the fitting of Rafter feet and all that Jazz in the price ...

..I am guessing the reason for the recommendation on getting them up now ...is so they can "one-hit" the job 

..and not have to return to do a load more on the eaves etc

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Ok

Hi

looking back at my invoices

The last lot we bought was from Encon about six weeks back

We bought 300 mtrs at £9 per mtr 

that was Naufe 2.4 x900 sheets 

These are the best ones to use

But we are stuck with what the Architect species 

Always fixed after the roof 

The odd job we have done before the roof is completed Useally gets damaged by other trades 

It needs to be glades then finished Scafold down 

No arguements over any damage 

Well things MAY be looking up on the rendering front .

Just had a nice plasterer come around and gave me a "bracket labour cost" which was not too bad ..even at the top end :)

He is on trustatrader and has a good website & facebook page ... I can see he does good work and YES it IS him in the pictures !!

Well the only issue is....
He has only rendered with Sand and Cement and never this newfangled spray stuff ..which is fine by me!

But ....
Whenever he has rendered for builders the "backing" was always put on by the  builder or joiner ....he calls it paper and mesh .
..Well Of course on mine it isn't up yet ..but he said if i find a carrier system and how to fit it ...he will price for that too ....very decent !!!

But again I am back with Potton and Stucanet ...is there really any alternatives when rendering with S+C on a Timber frame ?

15 minutes ago, Ed_MK said:

is there really any alternatives when rendering with S+C on a Timber frame

I have used Bluclad board screwed to vertical battens and 2 no. 3mm coats of Weber LAC - the first used to bed a fibre mesh sheet.  The render can be sponge finished to a sanded render texture, then painted.  I saw one we did 8 years ago.  No cracks or marks at all.

• 2 months later...
On 10/05/2018 at 20:55, Weebles said:

Just had the first quote from a company offering to render (with SAS Prowall) and clad (Cedral Click weatherboard) our timber frame build.

Nearly had a heart attack.

What should we expect as a rough price for render and renderboard (per square m)? Fitted.

Has anyone had anyone fit Cedral Click weatherboard.  I have seen some images of @NSS doing a lovely job this time last year.  Insight into materials costs vs labour quotes would be much appreciated.  Might have a go at this ourselves if it is do-able by an amateur.  But the render, no way.

Will be looking for other quotes now!  Any suggestions for people (render and Cedral fitters) near the South Oxfordshire part of the UK?

Did you get this done? If not i can recommend someone i think but i used Aquapanel and a render system for my house and am having a hassle with the mortgage now i've finished

30 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Did you get this done? If not i can recommend someone i think but i used Aquapanel and a render system for my house and am having a hassle with the mortgage now i've finished

Nothing done yet.  Got a company coming out on site this week to look at installing both.

What sort of hassle with the mortgage?

I've PMed you the details on the company we used, our issue is lenders don't like an Aquapanel system and seem to want a brick or block outer skin, I'm talking to the IFA at the Buildstore tomorrow so hopefully we'll have a solution soon

• 3 weeks later...

When people mention Aquapanel, do they mean the foam filled cement faced panel or are we talking at the solid magnesium oxide panel? I like the idea of using the lighter foam filled panel as it’s easier to handle, especially at height on a scaffolding.

You need to decide what render you are going to use as most of them will give you a list of approved boards that they recommend. I used Parex render and on their list was Moisture resistant render board which I got from Berrys of Leyland. The exterior render board is not cheap so sit down when getting prices. The more you get the better the price.