How not to run an incentive scheme

Guest Alphonsox

As they saying goes, the dogs on the street could have told you that!

An absolute joke, given that the RHI scheme was open for Commercial 2 years before domestic, these issues must have been so blindingly obvious.  But then who benefited along with the dodgy farmers and factories?

I only got mine approved last Friday. Application went in last October so its been a long wait but got there in the end. Seems all the fraud was on the commercial side of things so why did they punish the self builders???

7 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

I only got mine approved last Friday. Application went in last October so its been a long wait but got there in the end. Seems all the fraud was on the commercial side of things so why did they punish the self builders???

They are just showing their hand i think.

The scheme was never really intended for Domestic but they kind of had to pass it on to the peasants.  

If the commercial scheme is gone there is no way they will give money to home owners.  They are more likely to put an extra tax on pellets etc, when all the dodgy businesses have stopped running their boilers to get the home owners to pay back the money.

I would like to think they will fine the fraudulent businesses but i can see a big lobby for them, and they will get a slap on the wrists and a small fine compared to what they got out of it.

You cant risk putting a business under, but you better pay your TV Licence. 

It always seemed a barking mad idea from the start, paying people more if they used more energy.  The NI implementation of it looks to have been even more barking mad than the rest of the UK scheme, and that's daft enough.

It looked really attractive at first, and I spent a few hours reading up on it and trying to get my head around the relative costs and benefits.  In the end I worked out that the cost of having an MCS approved ASHP install would be around £1500 on top of an ordinary install, and for that additional premium I would get around £85 a year in RHI payments over 7 years, so a total return of under £600.

In order to get more back I'd have needed to remove insulation from the house and make it more draughty, which would have increased the energy use and so resulted in me getting bigger payments.  You do have to wonder at the thought processes (or lack of them) of the instigators of these schemes.  Alternatively, you could take the cynical view that the government officials (of any of the governments involved) were just hoodwinked by the manufacturers.....................

Just now, JSHarris said:

It always seemed a barking mad idea from the start, paying people more if they used more energy.  The NI implementation of it looks to have been even more barking mad than the rest of the UK scheme, and that's daft enough.

It looked really attractive at first, and I spent a few hours reading up on it and trying to get my head around the relative costs and benefits.  In the end I worked out that the cost of having an MCS approved ASHP install would be around £1500 on top of an ordinary install, and for that additional premium I would get around £85 a year in RHI payments over 7 years, so a total return of under £600.

In order to get more back I'd have needed to remove insulation from the house and make it more draughty, which would have increased the energy use and so resulted in me getting bigger payments.  You do have to wonder at the thought processes (or lack of them) of the instigators of these schemes.  Alternatively, you could take the cynical view that the government officials (of any of the governments involved) were just hoodwinked by the manufacturers.....................

It was only with the introduction of new Building Regs in maybe 2013/2014 that the RHI payment was linked to the as built SAP in NI, before that Ala Declan it was based on the design SAP which could use crazy defaults for Air tightness etc to massively increase the heat requirement.

I'm not even 100% how they did it with the commercial side of things but it must have been a finger in the air/blank cheque job.

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

Alternatively, you could take the cynical view that the government officials (of any of the governments involved) were just hoodwinked by the manufacturers.....................

Not cynical its exactly that!!

Many of the trade groups are incredibly powerful political lobbyists. They spend huge sums of money ensuring their view is heard to their benefit.

Probably the most powerful of them all being the CPA. They make no secret of their lobbying and have HUGE influence: http://www.constructionproducts.org.uk/our-expertise/political-engagement/

For domestic it was based on your as built sap rating. Depending on when you had your plans passed you didn't need an air pressure test done like me. So there was a limit on how much you could actually get paid. For domestic the most you could ever get paid was £2500 a year no matter what your sap rating was.

For commercial its paid out on how much you use which has to be the most stupid method ever thought off which has resulted in widespread fraud with some of the warmest sheds in the northern hemisphere found in NI.

1 minute ago, Declan52 said:

For commercial its paid out on how much you use which has to be the most stupid method ever thought off which has resulted in widespread fraud with some of the warmest sheds in the northern hemisphere found in NI.

Out of interest, what do they grow in all these very warm sheds?................................ :D

Just now, JSHarris said:

Out of interest, what do they grow in all these very warm sheds?................................ :D

Story goes that most of them are just empty.

Hopefully they do start a pretty serious inspection regime and punish the fraudsters but i doubt it.

2 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

The reason I ask is that our local police helo has an IR camera and goes around looking for hot sheds and houses, as often they find this is where all the cannabis is being grown.................

The police helicopter budget will be cut to fund the overspend.

Oh the irony! Which by the way is the opposite of Wrinkly :D

7 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I seem to remember Sir Humphrey giving the game away on this one - staff growing mushrooms to stop themselves getting bored!