Digging in the Verge

swisscheese

Due to some unforeseen and recent neighbour issues we may be forced to redirect our waste to further along an existing lateral drain.

This would mean joining to the drain in a large verge inserting a new Inspection Chamber and connecting.

I have to submit an S50 + extortionate fee to the council to "dig in the highway", it stipulates that I have to use accredited contractors for this work. 

The council so far are unwilling to give me a list of accredited contractors, so I'm wondering what is an accredited contractor, how do I get hold of one.

My contractors are happy to the boundary, as a building contractor he says he is not "accredited", but I fear I'm going to get stung by a large contracts firm to dig quite literally the 2m from my boundary to the proposed connection point in the verge.

I'm have to go out so in a rush.. See..

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/614845/street-works-qualifications-guidance-for-operatives-and-supervisors.pdf

"The registration body will then record the certificate on the street works register"

Perhaps the register is online?

• Like 1

Yep, I tried these:

www.swqr.org.uk "street works qualification register" - apparently they don't have a register they just dish out the cards....they said try the council.

I have gone back to Highways at the Council......this could be a while.

Any firm that does this kind of work will have guys who have done the street works course. It's the law. You have to have done the course to be able to work on the roads. There will generally be a couple of guys with the operator card and one guy with the supervisor card. I had the supervisor card.

52 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Could you carry out more work inside your property, so you can come out in a better location 

you have probably thought of this already, I just thought it worth a mention. 

It wasn't a problem, but now is, the lateral inspection hatch rests partially within the neighbours boundary and they have now at this late stage decided to refuse permission to cross the boundary to lift it.  I don't want to go there!

5 hours ago, swisscheese said:

It wasn't a problem, but now is, the lateral inspection hatch rests partially within the neighbours boundary and they have now at this late stage decided to refuse permission to cross the boundary to lift it.  I don't want to go there!

If the hatch is shared then there is bound to be wayleaves put in place to allow both parties access to do what ever needs done.

15 hours ago, Declan52 said:

If the hatch is shared then there is bound to be wayleaves put in place to allow both parties access to do what ever needs done.

unfortunately I've not been able to confirm any existing wayleaves, the hatch has 2 existing houses connecting to it, however the cover and chamber lie mostly within a boundary, if it was in the drive way it wouldn't have been a problem.  The 2 houses in question, were built by an individual 1980's who then sold this one.  I secured the plot the other side of the existing drive.

16 hours ago, Temp said:

A quick look here suggests the penalty is £120 or £80 if paid within 28 days of the penalty being issued but it seems likely that you would be hit with more than one.. 

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/1952/schedule/2/made

Yep, would probably cop for most if not the lot.  worth considering though ?

31 minutes ago, swisscheese said:

Yep, would probably cop for most if not the lot.  worth considering though ?

The council fine isn't that much it more depends on if someone has an accident on the road that isn't really your fault but you get blamed on it as your signage isn't correct.

Every job I done on the road I had to take pics of the signs I set out to prove it was done right to cover my own ass just incase. People walking by move signs or knock them over same goes with cars and the wind from buses and lorries going by.

How busy a road is it and is it just digging in the verge or will you be opening up the road. Makes a big difference in the reinstating cost.