Block paving vs delivery trucks

Vijay

I'm under a little bit of pressure from the neighbours who have finished building to allow the developer to lay the block paving access road. The problem is I obviously haven't started my build yet and probably won't for a few months.

Does anyone know how much weight can be driven on a block paved road if it's laid properly?

Cheers

Vijay

Edited by Vijay

I can say for sure that concrete trucks WILL cause the blocks to sink in the tyre tracks.  No question about it, even the very best laid block paving won't take the axle load of a concrete truck.

You can mitigate this, by laying a trackway over the block paving, but frankly I don't think it's either worth the hassle or would prevent all damage to the pavers.

I'd  suggest saying to the neighbour that you'd accept the paved access being laid, but that the neighbour has to accept that it will get damaged by heavy lorries and that you will not pay for the repairs required.

Not sure about actual weights but this may help as it suggests certain depths of materials depending upon the type of usage the driveway will normally get. Hope it helps.

PW.

http://www.kilsaraninternational.co.uk/uploaded/53199bbbe60f19.58440664.pdf

Other similar information maybe available via an internet search of block paving and weight limits.

If the lorry is going straight on and off you will end up with track marks sunk in. If the lorry has to turn and its fully loaded with a lot of weight you will end up with ruts in it. 

Some of the lorries could be upwards of 30 tonne esp a full concrete lorry.

19 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

one silver lining is even if you do damage it the blocks can be lifted and re laid. 

it could be worse if they went for concrete or tarmac....

Interesting observation.

I had just the base layer of tarmac laid for my site entrance, expecting it to be trashed and have to be dug up and re laid.

It has had all sorts of delivery lorries parked on it. Wheeled and tracked diggers, and probably the heaviest of the lot concrete lorries over it.

It is still fine. It won't need digging up, just a scrub up and the top layer can go on. It's laid on 300mm of type 1 that I laid and compacted myself.

To my mind, paviers are just the "top layer" and how well they stand up to traffic depends on what base they are laid on. There are a couple of roundabouts up here that have been laid with a ring of paviers around the roundabout. The idea being the light vehioles go round, but busses and larger lorries end up driving on the paviers and they don't budge an inch.

My biggest concern would be if the lorries have to make a tight turn from the paved road onto your site, with the inevetable tyre scuffing, that is where any damage will be done.

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Interesting observation.

I had just the base layer of tarmac laid for my site entrance, expecting it to be trashed and have to be dug up and re laid.

It has had all sorts of delivery lorries parked on it. Wheeled and tracked diggers, and probably the heaviest of the lot concrete lorries over it.

It is still fine. It won't need digging up, just a scrub up and the top layer can go on. It's laid on 300mm of type 1 that I laid and compacted myself.

To my mind, paviers are just the "top layer" and how well they stand up to traffic depends on what base they are laid on. There are a couple of roundabouts up here that have been laid with a ring of paviers around the roundabout. The idea being the light vehioles go round, but busses and larger lorries end up driving on the paviers and they don't budge an inch.

My biggest concern would be if the lorries have to make a tight turn from the paved road onto your site, with the inevetable tyre scuffing, that is where any damage will be done.

If nothing else it is a massive compliment to your sub base ;)

we've had a few new roundabouts towards haverhill where the ring of pavers has lasted less than week :)

interestingly my parents decided to Block pave the farm yard with 90mm pavers that my dad found cheap on eBay, 

he has only done about 1/4 of it but they have been holding out well for the last 5-6 years...

It's definitely the sub-base that makes the difference.  Pavers are usually laid with a layer of sand over the sub-base (if they are non-SUDS compliant) and the sand will allow the pavers to tip and rut.  Around here, the roundabouts that are done with the paver rings have the pavers laid on concrete.

Cheers guys. I've emailed the neighbour and basically told him I can't see a solution. If they decide to go ahead, it will be clear that I cannot be responsible for the paving if it gets damaged

Perhaps see here for a block paved highway...

http://www.pavingexpert.com/blokroad.htm

Residential block paving..

http://www.pavingexpert.com/blocks2.htm

This is a pretty good site for all things related to paving, hardstanding and some drainage. Check out the index for specs for block paving in other areas.

If you ever want the access road adopted by the council best check if they have a spec.

Edited by Temp
Add a link

I should have thought to look at that website, as it really is useful,  It looks like a paved access for heavy traffic needs a base that is solid, cement-bound or asphalt, to take the high axle loads, whereas one for a drive would normally just be whacked sub-base.  That matches the way I saw a mini roundabout being laid near here a while ago, where they laid what looked like a concrete base down before laying the pavers.

• 4 months later...

Just dragging this old thread up cos the new drive will be going in in a matter of months and I haven't started yet.

The developer who is doing the drive (which is actually a private road owned by him and serves 4 plots) has said that in terms of weight capacity, it won't take anything more than a transit. Now this surely can't be right as that would mean you could never get a removals truck or any sort of large item delivered. Surely there's got to be some sort of weight capacity on a private road - oh and even though the developer still owns the road, the maintenance is down to the home owners. 

If the maintenance is down to the home owners, then surely you should have a say in the specification of the surface?  Otherwise he can lay any rubbish surface on 1/2" of sand and you get the bill when it sinks.

Tell him it must be able to take builders delivery lorries and concrete trucks.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

If the maintenance is down to the home owners, then surely you should have a say in the specification of the surface?  Otherwise he can lay any rubbish surface on 1/2" of sand and you get the bill when it sinks.

Tell him it must be able to take builders delivery lorries and concrete trucks.

I intend to run it past the neighbours too as I totally agree, I won't be happy if a drive is laid that can't take residential deliveries :( 

I think taking 35t would be asking a little too much as he would have to put down a block paved drive suitable for commercial properties. I just think it's a real grey area as it's a private access drive and not a front drive of a house - so has to be suitable for any sort of vehicle surely..............

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Legal requirement by building control I believe to take the weight of a fire engine ..?? Had to make sure that on a commercial build we could get a full 22 tonne tender to within 50m of any point on the structure

I know there's something in the plans about having to have a turning circle for a fire engine but nothing about weight. I will look to see if I can find anything from BC on the matter. Just Googled the weight of a fire engine - 13t

Edited by Vijay

I think it's only because that was agree with planning when they developed the land. I'm personally not bothered as long as it's a good access road but I suspect the neighbours would want block paving now because of the look.

What other surface would you suggest, tarmac?

2 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Depends how much you bung the driver at Xmas!!

I would tar it and tell them there is no way block paving will stand up long term esp when any delivery lorries go to use the turning circle.

When I used to live in Shrewsbury the bus terminal was all block paving and didn't show any great problems through vehicle weight , is it not down to preparation of the ground that causes any problems?

6 hours ago, ProDave said:

But will a bin lorry go down a private road? They don't here. In such a situation, everyone wheels their bin to where the private road joins the public road and they get emptied from there, or not at all.

I think that's correct a there's a bin place marked on the original approved plans which is right next to the public road