Is DCV an alternative to MVHR?

I applaud your effort looking at alternative options,

FYI I purchased BPC MVHR for 2.6K + vat. Includes 6 extract and 7 supply.  285 sqm building. Self installation. I have spent £400 on airtight tape!!

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Zoo said:

ProDave you have made it look beautifully simple and if I do end up going this route, I will be coming to you for support! 

What system do you purchase from BPC and how many wetrooms and outlet rooms did you have to lay ducting to?

My other concern is a poorly installled MVHR system not perform well.

I have 5 supply points (2 living rooms and 3 bedrooms) and 4 extract points (bathroom, en-suite, utility and kitchen)  I ran 2 ducts in parallel to each room vent, but I know some only used 1 duct per vent so that could cut costs a little.  The radial ducting system like this is indeed very simple to install.

• Thanks 1

@Nickfromwales has seen my set up and it’s pretty “homebrew” for MVHR. 

Vents are Toolstation - nice white metal variable flow ones that have an inner which we have fixed and then plastered in. Cost about £7 each. 

Plenums are made from various uPVC solvent weld parts - cost about £8 per room. 

Duct is standard 63mm black electrical duct. It’s nigh on the same as the expensive stuff and I used 3 rolls. So that’s £160 for duct. 

I have a Mitusbishi Lossnay MVHR from an auction that was brand new - this was the one rebadged by Kingspan as their own and if cost me £60 - the controller was £80..!

Plenum is £20 of MDF, and I need about 4ft of 150mm duct to finish. 

So all in I’m at £500 inc the Vat for a full house system. It can be done, and at double that for an eBay MVHR you can make a massive difference. 

I’ve seen some of the DCV valves and they are very nice but surprisingly expensive for what they are - it was a 5v stepper motor, driving the vane, a PIC and a stepper chip with a CO2 and DHT11 on a stalk in the airflow to do the monitoring and it was basically adjusting up and  down the flow every 15 seconds. It was also noisy as the vane only closed to 95% which caused a whistling at the terminal. From memory they were about £90 + Vat each and needed a transformer too. 

I’m all for leading edge stuff but I don’t want to be someone’s guinea pig for a ventilation system that if it went wrong would need me to rip parts of my house down to replace ..!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, PeterW said:

@Nickfromwales has seen my set up and it’s pretty “homebrew” for MVHR. 

Vents are Toolstation - nice white metal variable flow ones that have an inner which we have fixed and then plastered in. Cost about £7 each. 

Plenums are made from various uPVC solvent weld parts - cost about £8 per room. 

Duct is standard 63mm black electrical duct. It’s nigh on the same as the expensive stuff and I used 3 rolls. So that’s £160 for duct. 

I have a Mitusbishi Lossnay MVHR from an auction that was brand new - this was the one rebadged by Kingspan as their own and if cost me £60 - the controller was £80..!

Plenum is £20 of MDF, and I need about 4ft of 150mm duct to finish. 

So all in I’m at £500 inc the Vat for a full house system. It can be done, and at double that for an eBay MVHR you can make a massive difference. 

I’ve seen some of the DCV valves and they are very nice but surprisingly expensive for what they are - it was a 5v stepper motor, driving the vane, a PIC and a stepper chip with a CO2 and DHT11 on a stalk in the airflow to do the monitoring and it was basically adjusting up and  down the flow every 15 seconds. It was also noisy as the vane only closed to 95% which caused a whistling at the terminal. From memory they were about £90 + Vat each and needed a transformer too. 

I’m all for leading edge stuff but I don’t want to be someone’s guinea pig for a ventilation system that if it went wrong would need me to rip parts of my house down to replace ..!

that is the kind of information I need ?

• Thanks 1

its not so much the new tech part i dont get, its the cheaper part, 

if you have an airtight house, e.g no trickle vents on the windows, you need to mechanically replenish the air in the house, so everywhere needs ducts......no?

adding sensors seems like a nice idea to regulate how hard MVHR works, but AFAIK they already have boost systems available,

why remove the HR part?