Revo Superconnect

newhome

So I thought I might buy myself a new Bluetooth speaker for my iPhone and then remembered that there was this 'thing' in the lounge that might do the job. It's a Revo Superconnect and I don't ever remember it ever being switched on even once since neither of us ever sat in the lounge. Went to retrieve it and there is no power supply and no remote 9_9. Managed to find the receipt for it and it came from John Lewis and was more than I would ever spend on what appears to just be a radio! Couldn't find a manual for it either. Anyway I looked on the Revo site and I can indeed buy a new power supply and remote but wondered if I had a power supply here that might do the trick. All it says on the Revo site is "Your SUPERCONNECT radio is supplied with a multi-region power supply, meaning that it can be operated in a number of countries around the world". Any ideas what it might need? I found an adaptor that I thought might work but when I plugged it in nothing seemed to switch on. There are also 2 separate speakers next to it but not connected but I assume that I don't need to use those with it. I am also assuming that I can use it without the remote. I took a massive crate of cables, old remotes etc to the tip a couple of weeks ago. Wonder if they were in there :ph34r:

So main questions are - will it act as a Bluetooth speaker for my iPhone, and what adaptor do I need for it. Thanks in advance for any help :)

Guest Alphonsox
14 minutes ago, newhome said:

So I thought I might buy myself a new Bluetooth speaker for my iPhone and then remembered that there was this 'thing' in the lounge that might do the job. It's a Revo Superconnect and I don't ever remember it ever being switched on even once since neither of us ever sat in the lounge. Went to retrieve it and there is no power supply and no remote 9_9. Managed to find the receipt for it and it came from John Lewis and was more than I would ever spend on what appears to just be a radio! Couldn't find a manual for it either. Anyway I looked on the Revo site and I can indeed buy a new power supply and remote but wondered if I had a power supply here that might do the trick. All it says on the Revo site is "Your SUPERCONNECT radio is supplied with a multi-region power supply, meaning that it can be operated in a number of countries around the world". Any ideas what it might need? I found an adaptor that I thought might work but when I plugged it in nothing seemed to switch on. There are also 2 separate speakers next to it but not connected but I assume that I don't need to use those with it. I am also assuming that I can use it without the remote. I took a massive crate of cables, old remotes etc to the tip a couple of weeks ago. Wonder if they were in there :ph34r:

So main questions are - will it act as a Bluetooth speaker for my iPhone, and what adaptor do I need for it. Thanks in advance for any help :)

I think it needs an 18V DC supply, so your 12V  adapter wont work. Do you have a picture of the rear of the unit ? It may say what voltage its expecting.

I suspect the blue tooth bit is to connect it's own speakers to itself to avoid pesky wires and not for connecting your phone.

Re the power supply is there  anything written next to the power socket.

I am awaiting delivery from China of a blue tooth adaptor for the hifi. I eagerly await what my £1.28 may have bought me.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

I think it needs an 18V DC supply, so your 12V  adapter wont work. Do you have a picture of the rear of the unit ? It may say what voltage its expecting.

Yes indeed it does, thanks! Am I likely to have such a thing? What sort of things are powered by an 18V one? 

B887F5B7-D7AD-49D8-A86F-0CA9FF176D66.jpeg

16 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I suspect the blue tooth bit is to connect it's own speakers to itself to avoid pesky wires and not for connecting your phone.

Re the power supply is there  anything written next to the power socket.

I am awaiting delivery from China of a blue tooth adaptor for the hifi. I eagerly await what my £1.28 may have bought me.

The speakers are a different make so not even sure they were intended for the radio although I'm not sure what else they were for and they are right next to it. 

I would be buying from China too, or something much less expensive than this white elephant. I would rather buy a couple of handbags than spend lots of money on a radio! :D

And as you can see from the photo this thing was 'assembled in China' anyway ;)

Now need to try to locate an 18V adaptor. 

Edited by newhome

15 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Laptops are 19v for a fair few these days. Key is getting the polarity right. 

What happens if I stick the wrong thing in? It simply doesn't work or it fecks it? 

Have found about half a dozen 12V ones, can't see one that says 18V yet. 

Guest Alphonsox
6 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Something like this? Comes with different size connectors ( universal ) and you simply reverse the plug in part to change polarity 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/70W-4A-12-15-16-18-19-20-24-VOLT-UNIVERSAL-LAPTOP-POWER-SUPPLY-CHARGER-ADAPTOR/121956068898?hash=item1c6525ee22:g:sNMAAOSwmkpZexZw

To be honest the £12 Revo want for a replacement supply seems like a reasonable price to me.

9 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

And yes if you get the polarity wrong its BYE BYE RADIO 

Thanks. Think I'll buy the power supply from Revo then to make sure I don't screw it up. It's £12 with another £10 for the remote so may as just buy from them. Why the hell would the power adaptor and remote not be next to the bloody radio though?!! O.o

Laptop adaptors say 19.5V so I'm not going to chance one of those. 

2 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

To be honest the £12 Revo want for a replacement supply seems like a reasonable price to me.

Yeah that seems like the best option TBH. Nothing is ever straightforward here though 9_9. Bet it'll be a nightmare to set up next! 

10 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

your phone should 'see' it as BT is pretty foolproof  ( lol ).

Unless you are using Windoze 10.  SWMBO's laptop chooses what bluetooth devices to see and not to see, and even when to see them. Just as it sometimes decides to tell her the printer is off line.

The Android phones never have a problem with bluetooth.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Unless you are using Windoze 10.  SWMBO's laptop chooses what bluetooth devices to see and not to see, and even when to see them. Just as it sometimes decides to tell her the printer is off line.

The Android phones never have a problem with bluetooth.

iPhone X, iOS 11.3.1. 

I hate Android ;). Have to use one for work and hate it with a passion. 

Just now, SteamyTea said:

Looks like a 1970's office intercom.

"This is Carson your doorman".

I know! I don't find it particularly attractive TBH. If he was going to spend a load of money on a radio I wish he had bought a Bose. It's here though so if I can get it going it's the easiest option, and Revo are Scottish so I guess it supports the UK. 

11 minutes ago, newhome said:

I know! I don't find it particularly attractive TBH. If he was going to spend a load of money on a radio I wish he had bought a Bose. It's here though so if I can get it going it's the easiest option, and Revo are Scottish so I guess it supports the UK. 

It'll be fine as long as a jellyfish doesn't jam it. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

It'll be fine as long as a jellyfish doesn't jam it. 

I'll be keeping it away from the jellyfish :D. I just found 3 more bags of cables, remotes and adapters in the top kitchen cupboards. Still no joy but I think we must have been preparing for a world shortage of AV cables! O.o Now I'm scared to bin anything just in case some of the adapters fit things I haven't yet realised I need to use :S. I already took that big crate of cables etc. that was in the back room to the tip. 

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Never a sheep. I am my own person. Always :)!

Hubby refused to use anything Apple. Amazing we were in any way compatible TBH! :D

5978E1DC-06CE-4E17-BDAB-D6F7A413EBD8.jpeg

Just now, newhome said:

Never a sheep. I am my own person. Always :)!

Hubby refused to use anything Apple. Amazing we were in any way compatible TBH! :D

5978E1DC-06CE-4E17-BDAB-D6F7A413EBD8.jpeg

What a very shrewd and and at the same time forgiving bloke he must have been! 

• Haha 1