Shower pump airlock

bissoejosh

My parents house has a pumped shower setup (Salamander ESP50CPV)  running an ensuite and the main bathroom. Header tank up in the loft and hot water cylinder next to the pump in an airing cupboard. For some reason the pump occasionally primes during the day but I thought this was due to the mixer being incorrectly calibrated. Yesterday the showers in both rooms stopped working other than when set on cold and the pump makes a noise very similar to cavitation - airlock?

Youtube suggests a number of tricks to clear the block but I'm not having much luck and can get a trickle of hot water at either shower at best.

Any advice greatly welcome!

I have to sometimes unscrew the hose from the mixer then let it run "full blast". On occasions I have to do this then stick my thumb over the outlet and let it run/out thumb over it/repeat...then it'll come hot.

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Is there water in the header tank ..??

I haven't been up to check but I presume so as all the other hot taps are fine, only those running off the shower pump that aren't happy.

On 04/05/2018 at 22:17, PeterW said:

Is it an Essex flange on the tank for the shower..?

Not sure? The fitting in photo below is directly on the top of the tank. The upper pipe goes off to the shower pump which is at floor level in the same space, the other pipe goes to the bath taps and wash basins (no issues with either).

On 04/05/2018 at 22:18, Nickfromwales said:

Have the filters been cleaned ( ever ) ?

Has the pump ever been run until the water in the header tank ran out ? That lifts up some real grot and it stays in the filter/s. 

Don't believe the filters have been cleaned but also don't think the header has ever been run dry.

The hot feed from the pump is getting lukewarm at best but the hot feed to the pump is piping. Is it worth taking the hot side of the pump off and seeing if their are filters etc to clean? Would adding an inline air valve at the highest point after the pump be useful?

IMG_1524.JPG

That's a Surrey flange imo. The lower pipe will be the hot feed to to shower pump.

I think.

There's little mesh filters on my shower pump. Also in the bar mixer valve. 

Edited by Onoff