Roofer asking me for roof area

I sent my house plans (scaled elevations and floor plans) to a roofer and he replied saying that he would provide a quote once I tell him the roof area.

If a roofer can't work out the area himself would you trust him to tile the roof? 

22 minutes ago, ultramods said:

I sent my house plans (scaled elevations and floor plans) to a roofer and he replied saying that he would provide a quote once I tell him the roof area.

If a roofer can't work out the area himself would you trust him to tile the roof? 

Doesn’t inspire confidence 

Funnily enough I prefer to calculate the areas for work myself as whenever a contractor does it they always err on the high side. The alternative is that they calculate it and round the area up which costs you more.

Also when ordering materials you often have to order 10-15% more than the area actually being worked on. Tilers etc will then try to quote on that as the area not the area of actual work. It isn't clear to me what the standard for quoting is in this situation. Certainly I gave the tilers the areas of all the bathrooms ex doors, mirrors and baths for their fitting quote and then ordered a larger amount of tiles.