Service Paths

Ed_MK

Hi all

as you MAY know my house is on a very "funny" bit of land

and the gaps at the corners are a little (ahem) tight

I need to connect to services water, elec. gas (and telecom?)

I am connecting via a service trench on our parents land to the road at the front (we are on land behind them)

The total length is about 40m (to the kerb at their side 

the meter boxes are at the opposite side of our house..so that accounts for a bit of the above 

1. with the above utilities (once i get the relevant meter boxes in)

can i 

a) just run the correct service pipe ...yellow blue or black down the existing trench to the border 40m away ?

b) as it has to go essentially AROUND the house (as I am presuming it can't run through the foundation) what are their rules on turns
and bends?

gas worries me a bit to be honest 

You need to observe their specifications for depth and separation. Water and gas can be in the same trench about 300mm apart, but most ive seen are just in there together.

You need to lay them in dust / fines / 6mm gravel etc and have the correct identification tape above. Bending radius is basically just where you feel the pipe starting to fight you. 

Have a T and an upstand at a location for an outside tap, saves drilling through the house later. 

I would try REALLY hard to make them enter the house at the closest point rather than go all the way round.

It can be a lot simpler if you do what many of us have, and put the electricity meter box on the boundary as a permanent feature, then it is your cable from the meter box to the house.   Can you do the same with gas? I have never seen anyone do that?

Water just to a toby (underground stopcock) and a standpipe close to the boundary. Lay the pipe to the house later.

2 hours ago, Triassic said:

If it were me I’d want all the services run around the outside of the house, especially the gas.

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I would try REALLY hard to make them enter the house at the closest point rather than go all the way round.

I asked a related question the other month about a foul drain from my main bathroom taking a short cut through the foundation plan of the house v. round the outside wall. This translated into one 9m drain through the foundations v. 10m + 45 degree turn + 5m + 90 degree turn + 9m around the house.

At the time I received a clear vote in favour of straight through the house foundation plan.

• Like 1

Do it what ever way out suits you. If it's going around the house then just make sure they are all separated Covered and marked as service guides dictate and if they are going through the founds then they are in the correct ducting. Make sure you check and re check the position the ducts are in and then check again.

Edited by Declan52
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Declan52 said:

if they are going through the founds then they are in the correct ducting. Make sure you check and re check the position the ducts are in and then check again.

There are days when I think an old fashioned external soil pipe up to the first floor would be the most simple and serviceable. The conservation officer wants my house to look 200 years old.

2 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

There are days when I think an old fashioned external soil pipe up to the first floor would be the most simple and serviceable. The conservation officer wants my house to look 200 years old.

Would Def be the most simple option but looks wise it's a no for me. Just use a tape measure and check and re check esp if it's for a toliet as there won't be much movement once it's buried in concrete. 

11 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

A soil pipe up the outside wall would make it look 70 years old :D  200 years ago they just stuck their arse out the window didn't they ? "Bombs awayyyyy!"

• Haha 3

If things like electric have to go around the house (lots of tight bends) I would try and put the cable in the duct before it's buried. It's what I did for our shed. Not sure if the utility companies will allow that though. Otherwise I wonder if you can put a manhole at bends so the cable pulls can be done in sections?

12 hours ago, ProDave said:

Can you do the same with gas? I have never seen anyone do that?

Yes, i've done it with both gas and elec.

One note...having nicely prepped a boundary wall with 2 recesses for gas and elec' meter boxes, i then discover i'm not allowed to put anything else in the elec' meter box (this has been discussed here before) but also must have a switched fuse between meter and house due to distance (I THINK thats a requirement after 5 metres).  So i had to wedge a 3rd box alongside for that switched fuse and double socket for builders supply.

its tricky as the main waste (due to all the bathrooms and kitchen, etc is on the FAR side.
the utility room is ALSO on the far side ....home to our leccy meter and gas meter.

so its a good 15m around he house to the border, and another 30m tot he road where ALL the services are.

Best explained by this piccie

sitemap3.JPG

My idea was to dig a trench with enough fall for the sewer, then get that and the water in at about -750mm, then backfill a bit and then put in Gas, elec ...and some sort of "ducting" at 450mm so I could pass a telecom line through .....later 

it would be a BUSY hole ...but does that matter ? ..I was going to cap abpve the pipes with some protection in case of anyone digging years later ..still deciding what with 

Edited by Ed_MK

Contact Open Reach. They should free issue you with the GREY duct you need for telephone.

If the services pass that close to the back of the house, forget any notion of running them across your site before the foundations are in.  Just get them up to your site boundary for now and put them across the back of the house once the foundations are in.

Well technically the meters are at the side of the house ....

Just in the drive and then around the left hand corner ....they will be close to the corner too 

as thats where the boiler and other stuff is ...

its hard to be too much closer ....even if they were on the front ...they still have 10m of driveway to
cross and before that a 8m run in from the road