Lintel

My architect has specified a 4.5m Catnic CXL290 lintel on his drawings sitting on top of my bi-folds.

Shopped around and the cheapest I can find this is at cost of over 1k.

Found an exact spec on this website: https://shop.elite-portal-frames.co.uk/https-shop-elite-portal-frames-co-uk-lintels-cxl290-lintels-cxl290-extreme-loading-lintel-2100mm-html/cxl290-lintels/cxl290-extreme-loading-lintel-4500mm.html

its not Catnic but identical in-terms of the spec i'm after  - its also around half the price.

The question I guess is should i just pay full price and buy a proper Catnic lintel from one its stockists or go for the alternative which is half the price, not a Catnic brand but might also possibly be inferior in quality?

43 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

I would go to a local steel fabricator and see what they say, over a thousand pounds for a rsj with a plate welded on the bottom is ridiculous 

Agreed Catnics that size are a waste of money 

A steel with a hit and mis welded plate underneath Will not be a lot more exspensive and will never bend 

Steel is as cheap as chips at the moment 

our SE says he will only spec steel on openings over 2mtrs 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

I would go to a local steel fabricator and see what they say, over a thousand pounds for a rsj with a plate welded on the bottom is ridiculous 

+1

Download the specs and get it made for £200-300

• Like 1

On 01/05/2018 at 21:15, Construction Channel said:

steel fabricator

Thanks for the replies,

I did indeed send the spec off to a few local steel fabricators and had quotes come back for around £300-£350.

Just asked my architect to see if they would be OK to use. If so, that's a huge saving. So thank you all.

The lintel spec does mention. 6mm structural grade steel plate Grade S275 to BS EN10025 - is there any way of checking or knowing if the steel fabricator company is using this grade of material?

The other thing i wanted to see is it it was worth me coating the Lintels and Beams that i'm getting made with any kind of rust-proof paint or spray. Non are external but the steel fabricators i've been in contact with don't galavnize. So is it worth treating them with anything before installing them?

4 hours ago, ash132 said:

Thanks for the replies,

I did indeed send the spec off to a few local steel fabricators and had quotes come back for around £300-£350.

Just asked my architect to see if they would be OK to use. If so, that's a huge saving. So thank you all.

The lintel spec does mention. 6mm structural grade steel plate Grade S275 to BS EN10025 - is there any way of checking or knowing if the steel fabricator company is using this grade of material?

The other thing i wanted to see is it it was worth me coating the Lintels and Beams that i'm getting made with any kind of rust-proof paint or spray. Non are external but the steel fabricators i've been in contact with don't galavnize. So is it worth treating them with anything before installing them?

If any part of the steel is exsposed to the elements

BC will insist on hot dipped galvanised 

27 minutes ago, Onoff said:

This thread on similar lines:

Shop around for quotes for hot dipping 

They nearly all send them away

and will often charge more to send the steel off than the actual steel

I found a company that makes railings and lifting gear that sends off 90% of there steel for dipping 

So only charged an extra 20%

On 04/05/2018 at 20:57, Onoff said:

@ash132, whereabouts are you?

West Midlands

On 04/05/2018 at 23:09, bassanclan said:

I think you will find it way cheaper to ask the fabricator to shotblast and prime it. If you need a bit extra protection on a leading face a couple of coats of hammering would sort you out

Ye, spoke to someone who works for BC and there's no requirement to have any internal beams and lintels galvanised.

Most of the fabricators I've been in touch with will prime.

Thanks All.

21 minutes ago, ash132 said:

West Midlands

Ye, spoke to someone who works for BC and there's no requirement to have any internal beams and lintels galvanised.

Most of the fabricators I've been in touch with will prime.

Thanks All.

They are quite correct Internal steels are fine primed 

But if you have a steel that has any part of it exsposed to the elements 

The whole thing needs to be hot dipped 

ie a steel that supports the internal skin but has a a plate welded to the underside Even though you may only have the edge of the plate exsposed to the elements