Hi - I'm having difficulty in getting my head around what our Doors and window supplier are asking - they keep referring to the Thresh detail for the doors and after a bit of toing and throwing I have received this response - Regarding the thresh details again thank you for the information provided. The problem being as on the drawings you will require an external cill min 262mm which is not achievable as external cills are only 160mm projection. As you have 82mm frame which fitted flush with timber kit then 150mm external treatment and 30mm overhang  = 262mm. Ways around this would be to have the doors on a cantered stone similar to windows.

Is it me or can someone please try and explain in a better way, what it is I should be looking to achieve?

essentially they are saying they don't stock or cant get a sill deep enough for your setup,

I am assuming you have a timber frame with a brick skin? and that you want to mount the door in the timber frame?

if so you won't be able to use a normal plastic sill, you will have to either fit a stone sill or cast something in concrete and get the door to come without a sill.

did you order your windows without sills?

I assume you could always use a timber threshold/sill but that's adding maintenance IMHO

Edited by Construction Channel

3 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

essentially they are saying they don't stock or cant get a sill deep enough for your setup,

I am assuming you have a timber frame with a brick skin? and that you want to mount the door in the timber frame?

if so you won't be able to use a normal plastic sill, you will have to either fit a stone sill or cast something in concrete and get the door to come without a sill.

did you order your windows without sills?

I assume you could always use a timber threshold/sill but that's adding maintenance IMHO

Thanks for chipping in - Yes we have a TF with natural stone as the external wall - the windows will have stone sills to them, just didn't think they would be needed for the doors!

As a result the windows will come with what they are calling stub sills, which sit on the stone sills.

So, I suppose the options are as you state - a timber threshold, or to cast a concrete one or fit a stone one.

Thanks for your assistance - very much appreciated.

PW.

1 minute ago, Redoctober said:

Thanks for chipping in - Yes we have a TF with natural stone as the external wall - the windows will have stone sills to them, just didn't think they would be needed for the doors!

As a result the windows will come with what they are calling stub sills, which sit on the stone sills.

So, I suppose the options are as you state - a timber threshold, or to cast a concrete one or fit a stone one.

Thanks for your assistance - very much appreciated.

PW.

anytime, :) 

what have you currently got bridging the cavity between the stone and your timber frame at the bottom of the door?

also what type of stone have you got for your other sills? 

1 minute ago, Construction Channel said:

anytime, :) 

what have you currently got bridging the cavity between the stone and your timber frame at the bottom of the door?

also what type of stone have you got for your other sills? 

Nothing has been discussed re bridging the gap between the stone and TF of the door as yet !! It will be in the morning mind when I chat things through with the builder. It is clearly an area I have failed to identify - The attachment shows what is going to be in place for everything above the door thresholds!!

Quoins and Cills.pdf

Have a chat with the builder as he may have a cunning plan... or just not thought about it, ,

as for my 2 cents if you are going to cast something you will almost definitely have to paint it, as trying to imitate actual stone with dyes/ sand types only works if you havent got anything to compare to close by, 

If they're composite doors I would probably choose hardwood sills, 

• Like 1

You can get smooth square face concrete cills that you would use on a block build to support the door. These are 100mm wide or 225mm if you lay them flat . Your door will come with a cill of its own so when you build your step the paving slab/bricks can slide under the door cill until it reaches the concrete cill and hides it from sight.

• Thanks 1

The answer is SIMPLE.

You do NOT clad the area below the door with your stone, or whatever external skin.

So you door theshold opens directly onto the paving slabs or whatever else makes up your entrance platt, ans that entrance platt recesses into the doorway and abuts the small door cill of the actual door frame.

Is this what you mean? This was mine going into the timber frame and quoins in front. It’s not quite finished In the second photo but we had to have a disabled ramp put there and the paving bridges the gap I think you’re meaning. Plus there is a very thin threshold drain between the paving and the door. 

08361B15-6F0C-4FDF-B4C8-99E25EE9694C.jpeg

88F7D8DE-DDC9-448B-B328-4B2D52E48D6F.jpeg

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

The answer is SIMPLE.

You do NOT clad the area below the door with your stone, or whatever external skin.

So you door theshold opens directly onto the paving slabs or whatever else makes up your entrance platt, ans that entrance platt recesses into the doorway and abuts the small door cill of the actual door frame.

Yes the doors will be accessible entrances and I do intend then to have level access so I am grateful to you for your thoughts.

1 hour ago, CC45 said:

interested to see how the cavity in the threshold is to be 'capped'.  Got a few to do myself. :D

No problems, we are all on this forum to give and receive, so once I finalise such matters I will post again.

50 minutes ago, newhome said:

Plus if it's the accessible entrance it has to be mega level - Borders Council is very hot on that.  

Yes, I am aware of how tight the SBC can be on such matters but thanks for the heads up anyway.

• Thanks 1