New Build Plumbing Costs

ultramods

13 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

It's an unanswerable question because of the quote being made up of mixed disciplines TBH. 

Ask for a quote for the oddities and the plumbing etc as two separate items and then we can work out what's what. 

Architects are wonderful folk, but when they put things out to tender it's usually via the straightest route. Not always the best route.  

I personally think the quote of twenty is very reasonable at the moment

Labour costs have gone through the roof There is very little incentive for tradesmen that work on site to do cash jobs at the weekends as most construction firms are chucking money at jobs to keep up

If your happy with the quote I’d get it agreed 

17 hours ago, ultramods said:

We are providing all sanitaryware, taps, kitchen/utility sink, showers, shower screens and upstairs radiators.

Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 16.28.40.png

It reads ( to me ) that hot and cold pipework is customer supply, radiators already known, flow and return pipework is customer supply, and same with soil stacks.

Everything should read 'supply and first fix' as all other supply items are stated clearly where its encompassed in the quote. Where there is a supply element its clearly and repeatedly stated.  

Time to double-check and get that re-worded accordingly? 

I can't help with the man hours etc but with a huge amount of hindsight here where the plumbing and heating is concerned I've learned that possibly more important than pure cost is that the person you use has a solid reputation and the job is done right both in the technical sense as well as the finish. I note that you appear to have immediately rejected the larger of the 2 quotes. I think you said that you had IT project management experience so if you were faced with 2 quotes at work I doubt you would immediately reject the larger one, you would set about understanding why they were different before doing so. Often the devil is in the detail so a bit of investigation can uncover assumptions made in a quote that you will need to validate before accepting it. The quote seems very scant too with little detail. I would want a more detailed Statement of Work with full clarity around the work to be done and milestones etc. even if I had to draw it up myself. Maybe you have that already and it's just the summary you have pasted here? So what are the makes and models of the things they are supplying for example or were they noted in the tender information? I would still want them present in the quote for the avoidance of doubt. 

For info a plumber I had out here charged £35 a hour (although Nick says he was a cock ;)) so I think your £40 a hour figure is in the right ballpark. I think I had about 7 plumbers out here in all during the build and my attempts to get the heating working, and some were most definitely better than others, so do ensure that your man is the right one for the job!

Do you know either of the plumbers? Do they have reference sites for you to look at? Do you know any plumbers yourself who would be a known quantity who you could ask? 

Ah well it’s good to know that. It was difficult for us here when faced with 2 or 3 quotes as we were new to the area and managed all the requests for quotes ourselves and we didn’t know anyone (didn’t have an architect as it was beyond that stage when we bought the plot). It was very tempting to always choose the cheapest quote but sometimes it was counterproductive. 

@ultramods

apologies I feel like I'm stalking you now

The plumber I've arranged locally (he's maud based) has completed my heating changeover (old oil combi to new oil boiler with thermal store)

Charges £27 per hour, was happy to quote in any way I wanted, copper, plastic or tektite? (I might have that last one wrong)

He's starting my first fix plumbing next week.

Didn't do my underfloor heating as I put the pipework in, but does do underfloor heating.

So solely looking at the hourly rate, that seems high.

• Thanks 1

On 29/04/2018 at 12:51, newhome said:

For info a plumber I had out here charged £35 a hour (although Nick says he was a cock ;)) so I think your £40 a hour figure is in the right ballpark. I think I had about 7 plumbers out here in all during the build

seven!!!! to fix your plumbing

11 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

seven!!!! to fix your plumbing

Well from start to finish. There was initial plumbing guy who did the first fix plumbing. Then kept letting us down again and again for second fix so we moved onto plumber number 2. Then there was solar man who came and installed the solar thermal and connected it up. All of the heating and DHW was connected up wrong by that point :S. Then there were 3 plumbers who came out and fecked around with the heating to get it working (or making it steadily worse as it turns out). C**khead was the worst. Then there was the plumber who came out to do the drain pressure test for the council. He was pretty good as it happens and didn't rip me off like some of the others. Then @Nickfromwales and @PeterW came up and actually did get it working ?. Now I need a solar guy to come and sort something out there so we shall see if I get someone. The whole thing has been a nightmare!

Edited by newhome
  • Like 1

I was charged 'mates rates' for a simple plumbing job - Yorkshire so not exactly a 'hot spot'. Came n at £30 per hour.  Commented I was surprised to be told that her accountant had told her she should be charging £50 per hour, so it was cheap.  

(Connecting an already fitted radiator to already fitted piping - it's a long story.)

Edited by Hecateh

C**khead told me how much he earned while he was here. He said that he earned much more than me which was interesting as he had no idea what job I even did much less what I earned! F**kin weirdo! Unfortunately at that point I still thought he knew what he was doing. Sadly I was mistaken ...... 

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

C**khead told me how much he earned while he was here. He said that he earned much more than me which was interesting as he had no idea what job I even did much less what I earned! F**kin weirdo! Unfortunately at that point I still thought he knew what he was doing. Sadly I was mistaken ...... 

This demonstrates the lesson I (seemingly repeatedly ) learn.  

Confidence and ability are not necessarily related 

• Like 1