There could be GOLD in them thar hills, probably not though!

This dropped through, rather into, the letter box at millstone manor this week. The truth is, as one might expect, in the small print. If I were a vulnerable person I might be fooled into thinking I could not do this myself and that this has come from the council.

Am I being picky!

20180427_094231.jpg

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

The owner of out local car garage that does our MOT's had his house externally insulated for free. They did a good job and he is very pleased with the result.

Whilst our local programme was a bit of a mess by all accounts, and now mainly suffer from condensation.

They did not ventilate properly according to my chats.

Edited by Ferdinand

There is quite a few of the older terraced type solid wall houses in my town that are getting it done at the moment. The guys seem to know what they're at as it's a busy set of traffic lights that I stop at going to work so have had a beady eye on it being a rather nosey sort of soul.

When we moved into our previous house in Kent (a new house built by Redrow) we were handed a number of certificates and guarantees for things such as the warranty, windows etc. One of the certificates was for the cavity wall insulation. Once we'd moved in hubby installed an outside tap and remarked that he hadn't come across any insulation when doing so. Later on he installed a vented tumble dryer on a different wall. Still no insulation could be seen so we complained to Redrow who said that the insulation had 'settled' and we were just seeing void pockets. Complained again so they sent a surveyor round who drilled holes into every external wall. No insulation anywhere so they had to send someone to pump it in. Told all our neighbours who checked theirs and none at all in the entire road. At least with a self build you know what you are getting as you put it there yourself! 

• Thanks 1

A very good reason not to have injected insulation in new build (perhaps a different case with older houses where anything, even if not fully filled, is better than nothing). Also having been involved in the development of this type of product it is impossible to be sure that the cavity is completely filled and at the right density. At least with a built-in product you can see it installed and check the quality of workmanship. I note some of the volume house builders are using these injected products (allows them to blame someone else for poor installation!).

6 minutes ago, ADLIan said:

A very good reason not to have injected insulation in new build (perhaps a different case with older houses where anything, even if not fully filled, is better than nothing). Also having been involved in the development of this type of product it is impossible to be sure that the cavity is completely filled and at the right density. At least with a built-in product you can see it installed and check the quality of workmanship. I note some of the volume house builders are using these injected products (allows them to blame someone else for poor installation!).

It wasn't supposed to be injected insulation but once the house was built and it was missing that was the only option they had. 

7 hours ago, ADLIan said:

We left telltale holes so we could see where it had been injected but to be honest with the amount that came out of the smallest of gaps such as the soffits, I could pretty much guarantee it was done properly ..!

Walls went up much easier with no insulation to mess with and there were no bridges of snots - we even hoovered out the cavities ..! 

With a reclaim that is 102-120mm wide, it was the easiest and quickest option. House has no heating yet it takes 36-48 hours to respond to any reasonable outside change and I’m planning on putting a couple of hi-lo thermometers in there over the next week as it’s holding heat so well.