Extortionate price

Yes I thought it was odd especially since they have detailed planning on them, they’re asking 150-175k per plot which around here is about 50k over a normal plot, we asked estate agent what ours was worth and he said 125 and a much nicer more level plot, just don’t know how approachable they’d be

15 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

Yes I thought it was odd especially since they have detailed planning on them, they’re asking 150-175k per plot which around here is about 50k over a normal plot, we asked estate agent what ours was worth and he said 125 and a much nicer more level plot, just don’t know how approachable they’d be

“We’re going on a Mug Hunt; we’re going to catch a Big One.”

They will likely revise their prices in 18 months, or they will be in a hole. PP on 5 plots will have cost quite a lot of thousands. Just the PApp fee will be 2.5k.

Then there is design and tests and consultants and ologists and marketing.

They may have spent 20k or more.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

PP on 5 plots will have cost quite a lot of thousands. Just the PApp fee will be 2.5k.

Then there is design and tests and consultants and ologists and marketing.

They may have spent 20k or more.

Maybe they've only got outline planning permission / planning permission in principle?

They definitely will have spent a lot as there was a lot of opposition to the plans , bar surveys badgers, trees you name it the neighbours threw it at them even a petition with over a hundred signatures from people miles away, they are a small building firm and we thought they would build the houses but next thing we knew they were marketing the plots so maybe didn’t want to spend any more 

20 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

pole situated in our ground has no capacity for us

If the pole is on your land then there should be a way-leave for it, but if it is just in front then probably not.  If you do have a way-leave you have leverage over the DNO and can give them 12 months notice to remove the pole (then negotiate)!

1 hour ago, le-cerveau said:

If the pole is on your land then there should be a way-leave for it, but if it is just in front then probably not.  If you do have a way-leave you have leverage over the DNO and can give them 12 months notice to remove the pole (then negotiate)!

If the pole is on your land without a wayleave even better, more leverage!

1 hour ago, le-cerveau said:

Does that not depend on whether there is a servitude noted in the deeds? I have a servitude in my deeds for something different and it seems that once it’s there you are stuck with it, although I imagine it’s unlikely that an electricity company will have servitude rights for every single pole on every single property. Don’t they have to pay rent / compensation for poles or wires going over someone’s land too? 

2 hours ago, newhome said:

Does that not depend on whether there is a servitude noted in the deeds? I have a servitude in my deeds for something different and it seems that once it’s there you are stuck with it, although I imagine it’s unlikely that an electricity company will have servitude rights for every single pole on every single property. Don’t they have to pay rent / compensation for poles or wires going over someone’s land too? 

I was wondering whether there was any legal basis for only paying for that part of the new capacity that you actually use?

F

Edited by Ferdinand
Red herrings fished out.

32 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I think this is England?

With link to help find it (2 can play this game)  

:D:D:D

About 80 miles from me in fact ;)

Given such extortion has the OP considered living off grid? With 4 to 6 kw of solar, some lithium iron storage, dc lighting and a large invertor, life might be tenable for two people. I guess a small generator will be needed for top up over the winter, are these available in an lpg powered config?

Edited by epsilonGreedy
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, DreamingTheBuild said:

At the risk of stating the obvious - do you have water, sewage and a phone/internet line sorted?

Water is applied for not expecting any shocks there as we did a pre application enquiry and phone will be applied for at a later date, sewage is to a treatment plant in our land with the outfall going to the stream behind us and we have this approved by sepa 

• 3 weeks later...

Right , back to this again! I got back in touch with SP energy and asked if I could have a reduced voltage- no there is none to have, I then looked at the quote and it seemed the majority of the cost (19k) was for excavating and laying 283 m of low voltage cable which was contestable work so I asked for a requote without this on it intending to get an outside contractor to do this, got the reqoute today, it’s down to 12.5k but they’re still charging over 10k for cable, surely they should supply the cable!? If not then the cable is mine and if I decide to move in theory I can take the cable with me?

5 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

Right , back to this again! I got back in touch with SP energy and asked if I could have a reduced voltage- no there is none to have, I then looked at the quote and it seemed the majority of the cost (19k) was for excavating and laying 283 m of low voltage cable which was contestable work so I asked for a requote without this on it intending to get an outside contractor to do this, got the reqoute today, it’s down to 12.5k but they’re still charging over 10k for cable, surely they should supply the cable!? If not then the cable is mine and if I decide to move in theory I can take the cable with me?

I used a contractor to do the constestable work and it saved me thousands. We supplied the ducting and this seem to cost a lot less than blinding the trenches. 

We had around 220 meters of cable and it cost us around £6k in 2015.  It's very stressful, we had a lot of emails, wayleaves, road crossing etc. I can't even read old email correspondence as it brings it all back.

The terrible thing is that the prices seem to increase above inflation, so if your committed to the project you just got to get it over and done with.

Probably our best decision to date was bringing all the services on site first and then considering what we actually wanted to build. 

We are having the same issue with SP, we want a cable moving that will be under our slab, we negotiated down to 7.5k, its a 3phase 11kv coming from a pole in the corner of our plot, i have to say their legal department is inept, the frustrating thing is there is no Wayleave as it expired on selling to us and SP will no longer enter into new Wayleaves but go down the Easement route which is going to take 3 months, our solicitor has said they perfer the easement route as its permanent 

I feel your pain. We were approx 12k for approx 250m of cable layed through the a farmer's park Inc me digging the trench and back filling. We run the water pipes in at the same time.There was a transformer upgrade but we only paid a percentage of cost in relation to transformer capacity. We tried to get prices for the contestable stuff but they were more expensive than the DNO.