Window Price Negotiations

ultramods

Hi, I have been quoted £22,000 (supply only) for 88 sqm of Rationel 2g wooden windows and 3 doors, including a 3 * 2.4 bi-fold doors.

What sort of discount do you think I could get. I would possibly like to have patio doors in front of the family area (3*2.4) and kitchen (3 * 2.4) instead of the current fixed units, would Rationel potentially change fixed to patio doors for similar price as part of negotiating?

I have had another quote from a different company for similar spec at £18,373.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

I presume you are buying from ADW?

We easilly got 5% off the quote. Show them the other qoute and see what they come up with.

Yes we are. Their Sauchen office is only 15 miles away from us.

I'm planning on committing to the windows tomorrow.

These are Nordan triple glazed, alum clad. Average U value 1.1

Got a few quotes and spoke with a few organisations over the last few months and I feel they are the best fit for us.

Asked about the 5% discount and our quote will kindly have this applied as well. 

6 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

I'm planning on committing to the windows tomorrow.

These are Nordan triple glazed, alum clad. Average U value 1.1

Got a few quotes and spoke with a few organisations over the last few months and I feel they are the best fit for us.

Asked about the 5% discount and our quote will kindly have this applied as well. 

I got a quote from Nordan, however they were 4 - 5k more than Rational.

@ultramods I got quote from Rational it was higher and if I remember rightly they seem to have a strange delivery policy regarding Skye and its bridge......

People on Skye can be very sensitive about this, especially when the same delivery time to north Cathiness/Sutherland would be the same but not penalised.

Just now, Thedreamer said:

@ultramods I got quote from Rational it was higher and if I remember rightly they seem to have a strange delivery policy regarding Skye and its bridge......

People on Skye can be very sensitive about this, especially when the same delivery time to north Cathiness/Sutherland would be the same but not penalised.

Maybe all the motorhomes get in the way of the lorries;)

4 minutes ago, ultramods said:

Maybe all the motorhomes get in the way of the lorries;)

I once commuted to work and was stuck behind 30 Italian camper vans all in row. The last one had an Italian flag on the back describing the group as ' the grande journey' on some think to that effect in Italian.

For me it was just a very grumpy journey. ?

We went with Nordan, got quotes from them and Ally at Rationel.

Rationel was cheaper, so asked nordan to match, they did and also applied a 5% discount.

so went back to Rationel and asked if they could do any better,  they rounded off the figure.

nordan then agreed to a further discount and also waived the charge for dual colours (different inside from out).

we had 45m2 of aluclad glazing, two wooden colour coded doors ( I wanted “grooves” ?) and set of French doors was 13kish

both really good to deal with but personally can’t fault Nordan, was Calum Sinclair I dealt with there, mainly by email:

[email address deleted for privacy reasons - could anyone who wants it please ask @Triple07 for it by private message? Thanks, Jack]

Edited by jack
Removed supplier email address
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Triple07 said:

We went with Nordan, got quotes from them and Ally at Rationel.

Rationel was cheaper, so asked nordan to match, they did and also applied a 5% discount.

so went back to Rationel and asked if they could do any better,  they rounded off the figure.

nordan then agreed to a further discount and also waived the charge for dual colours (different inside from out).

we had 45m2 of aluclad glazing, two wooden colour coded doors ( I wanted “grooves” ?) and set of French doors was 13kish

both really good to deal with but personally can’t fault Nordan, was Calum Sinclair I dealt with there, mainly by email:

Thanks for that.  I see Nordan are opening a showroom in Aberdeen this week, will go and see what the windows are like. 

Edited by jack
Supplier email address deleted

One thing that might be worth considering is how u get them off the lorry, delivery was on a flatbed and we had to arrange our own forklift (or tractor telehandler) , might be worth requesting hiab as part of ur negotiations as I overlooked this. 

• Thanks 1

We got the builders that built our timber frame to supply and install the windows. So once all the negotiating was done with Rationel,. I handed the quote to the builders.  Because they were doing supply and fit, it meant the whole lot could be charged to us at 0% VAT so saved having to wait until the end for the VAT claim.

We were told we would need a forklift to off load, so they had their telehandler on standby, but it wasn't needed as the lorry had a hiab and self unloaded them.

ahh, I forgot about delivery

Yes extra £500 to get delivered up to Aberdeenshire on a hi ab, which I also managed to get discounted

Kingseat's a nice spot, I drive past the turn off from the pitmedden road every day on route to work.

My wifes from a couple of miles away from there in whitecairns, her mother  and grandparents were all nurses at kingseat for years.

There's some useless info for you :)

2 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

ahh, I forgot about delivery

Yes extra £500 to get delivered up to Aberdeenshire on a hi ab, which I also managed to get discounted

Kingseat's a nice spot, I drive past the turn off from the pitmedden road every day on route to work.

My wifes from a couple of miles away from there in whitecairns, her mother  and grandparents were all nurses at kingseat for years.

There's some useless info for you :)

Kingseat is nice, we have lived in here since 2009. Our 9 year old son can roam free with his friends around the development and the woods. I work with someone that use to work there, she remembers one of the patients jumping straight through one of the ground floor windows trying to escape.