Timber frame lintels for Stone clad (150mm)

Leaway

I have a MBC timber frame which part will be clad in stone but with the sure cav (50mm) between stone and timber frame having difficulty in finding lintels deep enough. Anyone know of standard timber frame lintels larger than the standard 100mm size?

42 minutes ago, Leaway said:

I have a MBC timber frame which part will be clad in stone but with the sure cav (50mm) between stone and timber frame having difficulty in finding lintels deep enough. Anyone know of standard timber frame lintels larger than the standard 100mm size?

If you contact Keystone direct they will custom make whatever you need.

On 01/07/2016 at 12:45, Leaway said:

We are the same as you but we aren't using timber lintels.  They're standard hidden steel ones as they only need to carry the weight of the stone skin..  Yes, we have a dummy Oak lintels, but these are cosmetic only and just green oak (which we will need to repoint in a year because they will shrink.)   We have a 300 year-old stone farmhouse next to our new build and I did the same trick over 25 years ago when I had to replace some rotten lintels and move a couple of doors and windows -- only here we used reinforced concrete lintels.

PS. I am a little concerned about your comment "deep enough".  Our windows are attached into the frame and boxed out to site 45mm out in front of the Panelvent almost closing the 50mm gap.  (The wooden frame and the stone skin have different expansion and humidity characteristics so they shouldn't be directly coupled.  The windows sit behind the stone skin, with a slip surface between the frame and the stone skin.)  In our case the dummy lintels actually sit about 45mm below the top of the window frame partially covering the frame.  The stone is only a nominal 125mm thick (it's a planning requirement that we use the local rough cut stone.)  So the lintel only carries this outer skin, which is non-loadbearing as far as the house is concened.      

• 2 weeks later...