Understanding building regs about stoves (Scotland)

ProDave

Looks great and well done on the saving, I also got an ex  display 5kw model stove for my shed (not room sealed) Will be intrested to hear your report when it’s installed as I will need to instal one in my cottage when the time comes.....

That looks nice! The Mrs is happy, you got a bargain, and I'll wager it's still fitted before a certain Kentish Man's shower ;)

What's next on the list in terms of the build? 

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Wait for the plasterer.

Then decide and lay the floor.

Fit the stove and a kitchen, then move in.

Then finish the other 90%

That was pretty much the stage when we moved in too. One room finished to live in (kitchen / family) and 1 bathroom (downstairs shower room ). Nothing else was habitable at that stage. Still beat living in a caravan! 

Edited by newhome

Of all the stove shops we visited this was the only one selling an ex display model and they only had this particular one on sale. It just happened to be that SWMBO liked it..

With this stove there is no "adaptor" to fit. The combustion air is already lead to an 80mm diameter spigot. You can choose to do nothing and it will draw air from the room, or you can connect semi flexible aluminium duct to pipe the air in from outside.  Had we bought the Springdale as I had been expecting, with that you would buy a plenum box to fix onto the bottom for ducted air input.

• 2 years later...

Chaps, I'd appreciate a revival of this thread in relation to installation of the log burner in our strawbale build please.

We had a site meeting yesterday with an installer for the living room log burner and he asked me to check regarding the location of the stove and kitchen vent in the same room. Apparently there are Scottish regs potentially involving costly tests around the movement of air in the room. Ours will be a Passivent stack system (ie non-mechanical) and he thought this might be a different situation from having a mechanical extractor, and therefore possibly exempt.

I could of course ask the Building Inspector and in previous situations he tends to say that if it's been approved then it's ok. However I'd much prefer to avoid drawing attention to things, and our installer seems to want reassurance (possibly because he'll be responsible for signing off the installation?).

Anyone have experience of this?

if you have a stove in the same room as an extract you'll have to do a "spillage test" reg 3.17.8

a. for solid fuel appliances, extract ventilation should not generally be installed in the same
room or alternatively seek further guidance from HETAS. However in certain cases,
such as large rooms where there is free flowing replacement air, a fan may be fitted
provided a satisfactory spillage test is carried out in accordance with BRE Information
Paper IP 7/94

Usually you would have had to note that on your warrant drawings, what spec have you had approved for the stove?

I actually have had a couple of clients perform the tests themselves, so it's not too difficult - surely the stove installer knows or are they not up to speed on the scottish regs? (that one has been in for as long as I can remember and the BRE paper is from 1994!)

If you want a copy of the BRE paper I have a pdf here if you wanted to pm your email address

Edited by the_r_sole

14 minutes ago, Temp said:

Where are the inlet vents for the passive stack going? 

How about specifying a room sealed stove that burns air from outside the house via a duct? 

the reg isn't really about air for combustion, it's for making sure that smoke isn't pulled into the room by the extracts (as far as I can tell anyway)

Thanks for the replies folks, I've found the appropriate section in the Scottish regs. Because the vent is non-mecanical it's not clear whether it automatically needs a spillage test, but I think our fitter will carry out one anyway.

16 hours ago, Pord67 said:

Thanks for the replies folks, I've found the appropriate section in the Scottish regs. Because the vent is non-mecanical it's not clear whether it automatically needs a spillage test, but I think our fitter will carry out one anyway.

although not mechanical , your strategy is designed to pull air around so I'd go for the test to be sure

• 1 year later...
40 minutes ago, Hastings said:

Great topic full of very useful info.

Reviving it due to specific Scotland requirements.

@ProDave @Crofter Did you need to get HETAS certificates for completion/sign-off with BC?

I have just had my completion certificate.

Building control did show a lot of interest in the stove, but in the end the questions boiled down to "is the stove HETAS approved"  and they were concerned that it looked to be too close to the wall.  Providing them with a copy of the manufacturers installation manual confirmed that it was HETAS approved and that we exceeded the manufacturers minimum distance to flammable materials from the back of the stove.  They were satisfied with that.

Thank you @ProDave I just received this from my BCO:

"Building Standard surveyors are not registered to sign off Hetas registered installations. Please submit an installation certificate"

Not clear if that means I can only have it done by a HETAS contractor? Nearest HETAS person is a long way and would need overnight expenses and a lot of mileage costs etc. 

Some people say that in Scotland you can self install a wood stove and BC will sign it off if it complies.

Does it just depend on which council area your are in? They each make up their own rules? Can BCOs keep insisting on additional installation certificates, not included in the warrant, for various things in addition to the gas and electrics? It's adding £1000s I hadn't budgeted for and I don't know where it will end.

On 14/07/2020 at 10:57, the_r_sole said:

have had a couple of clients perform the tests themselves,

All very useful, and the test seem sensible enough.

1. I read that the second test requires a flow meter inside the flue. That can't be easy, esp as diy.

2. Have a superb wood burner in Spain that is available in UK, and am considering using in our Hieland hoose.

But it has doubled in price on the way. Same model, E500 or £900. 

3. In a new house there will be no air coming in to feed the fire unless we open the door, so a vent seems sensible anyway. 

I am thinking of bringing a pipe in from some distance and underground so that the air is prewarmed, then having a shuttered grille on it. I have no idea if there is a limit to the length of the pipe, or how quickly the heat  from the ground will be lost and it becomes a waste of effort.