Building Warrant - Estimated Value of Works

soapstar

Hello Folks,

Another newbie question heading your way....This is out of my control as my architect is handling everything however I just wanted to know exactly how the estimated cost figure is worked out for a building warrant? Is this purely done by the area of the house (internal/external?) and multiplied by an off the shelf figure for a 1.5 storey house?

I have been looking at other building warrants in the area and I really dont understand how they have come to working out these figures. One 1.5 storey house is estimated at 90k? This seems way below what it actually cost to build?! Does this cost include builders labour etc or is this purely materials?

Note I am based in Scotland.

Thanks in advance to all the helpful folk on here!

6 minutes ago, soapstar said:

Hello Folks,

Another newbie question heading your way....This is out of my control as my architect is handling everything however I just wanted to know exactly how the estimated cost figure is worked out for a building warrant? Is this purely done by the area of the house (internal/external?) and multiplied by an off the shelf figure for a 1.5 storey house?

I have been looking at other building warrants in the area and I really dont understand how they have come to working out these figures. One 1.5 storey house is estimated at 90k? This seems way below what it actually cost to build?! Does this cost include builders labour etc or is this purely materials?

Within reason the value will be whatever your architect tells them it is, however if they think he is gaming the system to drive their fee down then they will either want a cost build-up from a member of the RICS or they might use the quarterly BICS cost guidance notes which give construction costs per sq.m for various types of building.

It pretty much is based on a cost per m2. We disputed the valuation that BC amended ours to as it in no way reflected our projected budget. He had projected at something like £1400m2 whereas we were basing on something like £900 since we were building most of it. He compromised and brought it down but said labour still had to be accounted for even if it was ours which we didn't charge for. Think it dropped the valuation - and hence BC fee -  by nearly 100k. Who came up with the 90 k? BC will review it in any case if too low. 

1 hour ago, soapstar said:

Hello Folks,

It really is a best guess Situstion

You can be within budget Building at under £1000 per square metre 

and decide to install an elaborate exspensive kitchen or spend a packet on bathrooms Which would impact your sq mtr cost drastically 

BC fees are very low and good value when you go through your local authority Im paying £795 All in 

Thanks. It would seem things are very different in England - For a value of around 280k the fee is approx 2k plus!

So just to confirm...these m2 figures that the local councils set, do they include just materials or is an average labour cost included with this too?

I'm in the Scottish Borders and their website had a page dedicated to such matters - From memory it is based on size verses their build cost estimates I believe - might be worth a look on your local Council planning website.

Is there some confusion here 

I thought a building warrant was a scrimshaw term for inlisting building control Or am I wrong?

Im building a 284 square mtr house and as previously stated only paid £795 for the duration of the build 

I didn't pay the council for the original building warrant as it was in place beforehand but had been paying £50 every 6 months to get it extended. When I had the (small!) extension to pay for I thought the council's view on building costs (given that I know how much it cost to build as I paid for trades to do every part of it!) was far too high, but my argument fell on deaf ears, and as I was on a sticky wicket as the building warrant was a retrospective application I just paid up. 

8 minutes ago, newhome said:

I didn't pay the council for the original building warrant as it was in place beforehand but had been paying £50 every 6 months to get it extended. When I had the (small!) extension to pay for I thought the council's view on building costs (given that I know how much it cost to build as I paid for trades to do every part of it!) was far too high, but my argument fell on deaf ears, and as I was on a sticky wicket as the building warrant was a retrospective application I just paid up. 

Ah so it is Scotland 

What I rip off