Solutions for stairs with open risers

oldcoop

Hello!

Our staircase is nearly in... I was so focus on head height and tread depth etc that I missed the building regs bit on max 100mm gap, which is an issue as we have open risers, which of course are about twice that.

the stairs are powder coated metal frame with oak treads and side-fixed glass balustrades (toughened and laminated). So quite minimalist.

I have seen a couple of possible solutions - sort of half risers attached to the underside of the tread, or a metal bar across the middle. 

Has anyone seen seen any other creative fixes?  I’m keen to keep as much light as possible coming through as the stairs are right by a window.

Thanks!

On 24/04/2018 at 10:02, Siochair said:

What about using something like clear acrylic to bridge the gap?

I wondered about this too.

not sure if there are rules on this - like would it have to be toughened glass or something instead of acrylic - does anyone know?

On 24/04/2018 at 09:19, ProDave said:

Do you WANT them left open?  If so stick some half risers on with silicone then remove them after sign off :ph34r:

Good call. Can’t quite decide if u want them closed or not. We do have a five year old so probably safer to have. But I am keen to keep them as clean looking as possible so I guess acrylic or glass would best achieve that

18 hours ago, oldcoop said:

Good call. Can’t quite decide if u want them closed or not. We do have a five year old so probably safer to have. But I am keen to keep them as clean looking as possible so I guess acrylic or glass would best achieve that

Is it not to do with toddlers and heads?