My house is going green - mould on inside blockwork

readiescards

I know it has rain and rained but this green mould on the inside of my part built dwelling looks rather concerning.  This green mould is both on this internal wall and on another wall that is external.

I also have black mould appearing on the first floor Posi joists

Is green and black mould normal during a wet build?

2016-06-30 16.34.28.jpg

2016-06-30 16.35.06.jpg

There's free air circulation on your build, and thus no temperature difference between outside and inside...?  Internal and external mould you say. So I may well be  right.

I'm making loads of shakes for my house. Storing them in open, but covered racks. Exactly the same spot mould.

Don't worry in the slightest. 9_9

• Like 1

Life. If there is an untapped ecological niche and a suitable organism, then it will exploit the opportunity. In this case the build is just very wet, so this type of algal growth can get a hold as well as types of fungus.

However unlike Ian I wouldn't be so relaxed about this. I'd want to get the build weatherproof and dried out as soon as practical.

On 01/07/2016 at 09:08, TerryE said:

I'd want to get the build weatherproof and dried out as soon as practical.

Yes indeed I so wish I could. We are getting there slowly.

The main source of damp in these walls is the fact that the first floor is down 3 months ago but there was no roof covering (until last week) so the heavy rain in recent days lands on the first floor and then drains by running down the small gap between flooring and wall.

Hopefully now roof covered (tiles on this week I think) it will be able to recover - if the sun comes out and stays out this summer that is!

• 2 months later...

Tesco sell thin bleach very cheap. I dilute it 50/50 with water and put it in a Hozelock plant sprayer. Use it regularly in the shower and it stops mould forming on grout/silicon. Don't use a sprayer with brass parts or the bleach will corrode it.

• Like 1