Template for scaffold tie points.

While nosying around my reference build site the other evening I noticed a few chipped brick faces where scaffold platform horizontal bars were located within brick courses. I guess the brickies did not leave a large gap enough for the flattened end of the scaffold bars.

Would a cautious brickie add an offcut of such a scaffold bar end to his toolkit and use this as a template to ensure large enough gaps are left between bricks for scaffold lifts?

I'm wondering if they weren't very careful when they took the scaffolding down. I imagine it would be easy not to pull them out straight or leave them in the slot unsupported. 

• Like 1

I hate that method. The builders did that when building our extension to the 1930's house. Then the renderer rendered round the poles and patched it in later.  I would MUCH have preferred free standing scaffold like used on timber frame.

I think unless I am wrong that this type of scaffold was outlawed many moons ago, 

i have not seen a putlock type set up in years, if your scaffolding company suggests this method I would tell them to jog on. 

It messes up the face brickwork with fat joins, and was prone to not being very safe. 

Are they still using it where you are ?

58 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Are they still using it where you are ?

It looks like a proper job with a properly dated and ID'ed installation tag, it went up two months ago and has had a couple of lifts since then. The ties I am referring to are about 30mm wide with the pole dry inserted into the brick course by guess 50mm.

They've used these on a few of our builds recently, its still easy to chip the bricks taking them out but they are only 10mm thick....ish (i haven't actually measured one)

http://www.scaffolding-direct.co.uk/scaffolding-fittings-pressed-spade-end-putlog-head-x-50-.aspx

the other option is to use flattened tubes but I haven't seen those used in a while

putlog-black-steel2.jpg.d4f78268c25cd42226d255d53f66bb74.jpg

Edited by Construction Channel

Wait till it comes down & the empty perps are filled in a rush cos the scaffs are screaming at the brickie to get finished so they can carry on striking...

i can spot where putlog scaffold’s been used for years afterwards sometimes for this reason alone. 

• Like 1

I haven’t seen one for years,probably 2003 last one I worked on. The Subbie I worked for then had his own scaffolders so wasn’t going to change his whole scaffold stock without a fight. 

Best Ive worked on is system scaffold,especially if timber frame. 

Being able to drop down the inside 2 boards is a godsend at lift height. 

On 24/04/2018 at 07:06, Russell griffiths said:

What happened to them being deemed a bit dangerous?

have they re,designed the system and added some more tie ins. 

The tie-in points were not even, about 5 bricks between each pole.

Anyhow I am now more informed about the recent history of scaffolding technique.

+1 and maybe get a comparison cost from a system scaffold supplier. As long as your build is reasonably square it’s a great way to do it. Very easy to adapt for the roofers & renderers (if you have any.) 

When I worked in it we adapted it ourselves (though we shouldn’t have.)

Once you’ve seen the guys doing it it’s pretty idiot proof. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brickie said:

Very easy to adapt for the roofers & renderers (if you have any.)

Ok I am getting a strong sense that my reference build is not a good example of best practice.

Would you clarify what sort of adaptations are needed with scaffolding? Earlier in the thread you mentioned dropping down the two inside boards, does this mean customizing the working height by a few feet so that bricks are laid at an optimum body height? Having now laid 5 small practice walls in my garage at floor level my back muscles get the issue.

Yeah,the scenario you describe is a good one-system scaffolds have roses at every half metre on the standards for the ledgers & putlogs to clip to. 

So,when a lift goes up,you can have the inside two boards dropped down half a metre from the rest,putting you at nice height for your materials & you’re laying at somewhere around knee height. When you’ve come up a decent height,without stretching,you bring the inside two back up level & carry on the rest of the lift. Adaptions will be needed for the roofers so they’re only stepping  up a little onto the roof,and on gables for the brickies. We used to have it up a metre sometimes just to finish off the peak. 

• Like 1

Just for info, Google found the following descriptions of scaffolding types:

http://www.rowlandscaffold.co.uk/independent-access-scaffold/

Putlog Scaffold

A putlog scaffold may also be called a bricklayer’s scaffold. As such, the scaffold consists only of a single row of standards with a single ledger. The putlogs, (transoms with one end flattened)  are attached to the ledger at one end but integrated into the bricks at the other. Spacing is the same on a putlog scaffold as on a general purpose scaffold, and ties are still required.

Birdcage Scaffold

A Birdcage scaffold is an independent scaffold consisting of more than two rows of standards in both directions connected by ledgers and transoms.

Scaffold Tower

AKA a mobile tower or zip-up tower is a lightweight aluminium scaffold mounted on casters or wheels which provides a free standing ,and easily moveable, working platform.

Truss-Out Scaffold

A specially designed independent tied scaffold projecting from the face of the building or structure, and is entirely dependent upon the building for support. These scaffolds are generally used where it is impractical, or inadvisable, to build from ground level.

Cantilever Scaffold

A specially designed independent tied scaffold similar to a truss-out but erected on beams cantilevering out from a building.

Drop Lift Scaffold

A specially designed scaffold suspended at a fixed height, either below load bearing projecting brackets or beams or from the structural members of a roof or other overhead structure.

Flying Shore Scaffold

A specially designed temporary support scaffold fixed horizontally between two buildings This method of shoring does not touch the ground, but rather spans in mid-air the widths between the walls you are propping up.

Raking Shore Scaffold

A specially designed temporary support scaffold giving support to an unsafe wall by means of a series of rakers  (sloping tube) between the face of the structure to be supported and the ground.

Dead Shore Scaffold

A specially designed temporary support scaffold giving support to the weight of the structure directly above and transferring the same to the ground on firm foundation below.

Stair Access Scaffold

A temporary scaffold which is much more robust and versatile than any of the push-fits on the market.

• Like 1