PTFE Taping

Onoff

I've hived these Plumbing 101 questions off from my main thread as they might help others!

So I'm taping these 1/2" BSP male fittings to go into my shower valve. The tape is wider than the male fitting is long. If I wind my 20 turns on it so as not to get any overhanging the end it encroaches on the hex bit that I need to get a spanner on to do it up:

20180423_171753

Then, what constitutes a "smear" of gloop? This much? On the tape?

O

O

Doing it up and as it's so thick the flange doesn't sit down against the valve:

O

The alternative being I guess to wind the tape on abutting the flange like this?

O

But then it hangs over the end:

O

Basic stuff I'm sure ( @Nickfromwales ) but which way is right, if any of them?

Cheers

They're all right, but the shot of the lesser goop is better, as it really just needs to be a smear.

10 minutes ago, Vijay said:

20 winds?? :o Hope there's a joke there, why so much???

Because with less you get a lot of leaks thats why ;)  Brass into brass is quite sloppy, so the fitting will simply displace what ever it doesn't want but will definitely have enough to pack the valleys fully. 

• Like 1

The prob with those 90deg fittings is if they leak you cant give them a little tweak - its got to be a 360 turn.  I put loads of ptfe - as @Nickfromwales says - fill those valleys.  If I did it again i'd bend the pipe 90 / use 90deg joint and then go into the valve with a straight joint, you can then tighten it up a bit more if  necessary.  

All looks good so far.  Cant wait to see the tiling....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Vijay said:

20 winds?? :o Hope there's a joke there, why so much???

I thought it was taking the p too to start off with. I learnt the merit of it when doing my outside tap. My fear was it cracking the fitting but not a problem. @Nickfromwales said to wind on some weird number of turns, 23 to 29 rings a bell. It's then just right, enough that you can wind it in and you'll just know when it feels right and is dead level. Worked a treat, no leaks and has remained vertical. The key is I think not to be tempted to turn it back. 

For these shower valve fittings I'm figuring it's more crucial because of possible damage to finishes and contaminating the valve with excess tape.

20161027_094316

20161028_130049

6 hours ago, CC45 said:

The prob with those 90deg fittings is if they leak you cant give them a little tweak - its got to be a 360 turn.  I put loads of ptfe - as @Nickfromwales says - fill those valleys.  If I did it again i'd bend the pipe 90 / use 90deg joint and then go into the valve with a straight joint, you can then tighten it up a bit more if  necessary.  

All looks good so far.  Cant wait to see the tiling....

You've got me worried now ref those 90s! Means re bending that convoluted bit and moving the hole up into the loft for the cold in.

I was even thinking to use one of the liquid PTFEs.

I'll think / drink on it! 

7 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

They're all right, but the shot of the lesser goop is better, as it really just needs to be a smear.

Because with less you get a lot of leaks thats why ;)  Brass into brass is quite sloppy, so the fitting will simply displace what ever it doesn't want but will definitely have enough to pack the valleys fully. 

Always happy to learn :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Both shots the same fitting, just turned around!

32 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

I use the thicker gas PTFE and put six turns on. First time I ever put it on I wound it on the wrong way and proceeded to unwind the tape as I did it up! Numpty :(

I have to have a practise everytime I do it to figure which way!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vfrdave said:

what is this goop?

Cue Battle Of The Gloops! :)

Combination thread sealer and lube. I like Jet Blue Plus:

https://www.wolseley.co.uk/product/center-center-jet-blue-plus-500-g/

It makes doing up a compression fitting a whole new experience. No more squealing brass on brass. It does up tighter and more likely to be leak free.

Others on here like Fernox, Nick likes another. 

Well fingers crossed!

20180424_191851

Chamfered the timber to give better spanner access to the hot in:

20180424_191900

25 turns and a smear of Jet Blue Plus. I tried a file to get rid of the PTFE on the end of the fitting but didn't get on with it:

20180424_184604

Found a new Stanley blade the answer:

20180424_183704

• Like 2

Three out of the 4 nutted up on the compression fittings!

20180424_202637

The 4th, convoluted one off the bottom elbow to the handset is a bit of a problem. I'll put that in the bathroom thread! :)

16 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

I just did this today on the last shower room. I used ferrox, I bought it ages ago and never seems to go down. Just put it up to pressure and no leaks apparent. :-) 

DSC_4825.JPG

I hope you're going to vacuum before you board that over! :)