A rising problem

Hecateh

Does anyone know anything about connecting to the sewers.

I can't get a gravity feed as the chamber is under next doors garage so have opted for a pump

We were intending to pump up and straight into a brick built chamber that is just within my garden but the water authorities have said no, it has to be a gravity feed - but there isn't anywhere high enough to put a chamber that can gravity feed into the pipe anywhere on the property.

There has to be a solution surely

Attached plan shows layout

High Croft Bungalow b regs-005M.pdf

You could ask your architect Taylor Tuxford how they propose to resolve their design error.

Would it be possible to pump just the grey water from the kitchen up to the main foul drain level on the mid floor and let gravity work from there?

Can you move the rising main over to the left, then have a 45 degree bend on either side of new 450mm plastic chamber to feed into the brick chamber?  Admitted that the length of gravity pipe is short but the new chamber and change of direction should attenuate the flow.

I have marked on the attached.

High Croft Bungalow b regs-005M.pdf

17 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Would it be possible to pump just the grey water from the kitchen up to the main foul drain level on the mid floor and let gravity work from there?

I would seriously look and see if that would work. Then you are pumping only grey water.

I have only ever seen one raw sewage pump chamber, and it is not a pretty sight. I would not want the job of replacing the pump WHEN it fails.

1 hour ago, Hecateh said:

There has to be a solution surely

Raise the house!

if that isn’t an option, how about a treatment plant and a soak away in the garden.

or a pump station, if the utility company will allow it, I can’t see any reason why they won’t.

Sorry - I wasn't very clear  I already have the pump in place as that is the way we were going.  Architects marked it straight into the brick chamber.  That is what the water board won't have.  they want it going to a chamber and then gravity feed to the pipe or the chamber I'm not sure which.  

@Mr Punter is what I was looking at doing - I have drawn something very similar.  Bb doesn't think that works but I can't see why not.  

epsilonGreedy

Posted 2 hours ago

You could ask your architect Taylor Tuxford how they propose to resolve their design error.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

I would seriously look and see if that would work. Then you are pumping only grey water.

I have only ever seen one raw sewage pump chamber, and it is not a pretty sight. I would not want the job of replacing the pump WHEN it fails.

What happens to the sewerage if I did that?

Edited by Hecateh

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

Very firmly, tell the architect to get some thinking about stinking done. 

He (I bet your architect isn't a woman) would not make that mistake about his own house. Lazy sod. 

She is - and she was rubbish.  Remember the balcony that needed sky hooks

17 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Sorry - I wasn't very clear  I already have the pump in place as that is the way we were going.  Architects marked it straight into the brick chamber.  That is what the water board won't have.  they want it going to a chamber and then gravity feed to the pipe or the chamber I'm not sure which.  

@Mr Punter is what I was looking at doing - I have drawn something very similar.  Bb doesn't think that works but I can't see why not.  

It should be fine if you add in the extra chamber before the final one.  Who is Bb?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ferdinand said:

In iKea, Billy is a bookcase.

*innocent face*

I might change a letter - but leave the rest of the spelling the same to get past the profanity barrier.  I spent 2 hours this afternoon trying to clean the garage a bit.  This sink had half an inch of smelly, sludge in the bottom - *baull.  The fridge down there had been turned off but kept closed and they were storing food in there (Mice in the garage) *baulk.  Etc Etc Etc

1 hour ago, Hecateh said:

What happens to the sewerage if I did that?

It overflows out of the pumping chamber. So first you have to get someone in to pump it out, then call the plumber as I was buggered if I was going to lower my torso down the hole to detach the failed pump. Then and only after it has all been hosed down with plenty of clean water did I connect the new pump.

Some pumping chambers have 2 pumps built in so at least it avoids the need to get it pumped out, but make sure you KNOW when pump 1 has failed and get it fixed before pump 2 fails.

9 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

I might change a letter - but leave the rest of the spelling the same to get past the profanity barrier.  I spent 2 hours this afternoon trying to clean the garage a bit.  This sink had half an inch of smelly, sludge in the bottom - *baull.  The fridge down there had been turned off but kept closed and they were storing food in there (Mice in the garage) *baulk.  Etc Etc Etc

You are in need of the Medieval insult generator.

http://www.azkurs.org/eddies-medieval-insult-generator.html

F

5 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

OK but I would not cut into the neighbours sewer line - just put in a new IC and connect this to the brick IC

The 'neighbour' is currently me.  :D  There is an inspection chamber on my current bungalow land that takes mine and my neighbours drain.  Where he is planning on cutting into it it is already on the new house land and the existing chamber is also now on the new property.  The water board seem to prefer joining pipes rather than going direct into the chamber.  I thought I may send them the 2 options and let them decide which they prefer.  

7 hours ago, Hecateh said:

The 'neighbour' is currently me.  :D  There is an inspection chamber on my current bungalow land that takes mine and my neighbours drain.  Where he is planning on cutting into it it is already on the new house land and the existing chamber is also now on the new property.  The water board seem to prefer joining pipes rather than going direct into the chamber.  I thought I may send them the 2 options and let them decide which they prefer.  

I would get the two costed first.

• 1 month later...

Finally getting the connection made next week.  

Got permission 3 weeks ago but the guy that's doing it has been tied up with contract work.

Got a date for next Thursday and have just spent 25 minutes on hold to the Yorkshire Water to arrange the inspection.

Finally get through to be told someone from the connection team will ring me back.  If they've got to ring me back anyway why the *&*&*& couldn't I just email them in the first place.