Focal correction for mid distance work onsite.

Has anyone resorted to getting fitted with glasses with a focal distance set for arms-reach jobs around site?

I ask because over the past two days I have started lying some training courses of bricks on the concrete slab of the garage at home. My regular general purpose glasses prevent me from focusing clearly on the quality of close up mortar joints and my computer glasses, which are set for 20 inches beyond my nose, leave most 3 to 6 feet objects slightly fuzzy.

I've been wearing glasses for reading for ~ 4 years now - also need them for diy.  Right pain  - they are on / off all the time.  drive me potty.  Cringe at the thought of laser surgery but its getting easier to accept.  Interesting to see what others do...

I have this dilemma.

When I last visited the optician, they gave me a lovely set of distance glasses, that not only correct the focus, but I have a bit of astigmatism.  They also gave me a set of reading glasses.

When I collected them and tried them, the distance glasses were fine, I now wear them when driving etc.  But the reading glasses were hopeless. Perfect for reading a book but such a very limited range of distance over which they focus, i.e the PC screen when sat at a desk is much too far away for them to focus.

So I went back to the optician to "complain"  They gave me a card with small text and asked me to read it, which I could. They declared the reading glasses were "working"

I explained the problem, and they said I needed work glasses, but there is no nhs subsidy for those and prices would start at £150.  I declined on principle.

So I just use a pair of weak self select reading glasses. They don't correct the astigmatism but that is not bad, and they work over a surprisingly large distance range.  My prescription reading glasses only come out of their case once in a blue moon for something really challenging.

It's easy to forget I have the glasses on, for most things indoors I can see perfectly well the other side of the room. Its' only if I step outside and try to look at something really in the distance, I realise something is not right and take them off.

I have a similar dilemma. I used to use glasses to correct distance slightly which worked ok and I could still read and see everything else with them on. About a year ago I could no longer see to read with them on so was persuaded to try varifocals. Never got on with those as I just felt like I was going to fall over constantly so stopped wearing glasses at all unless I was driving as on off was driving me nuts. But now I can’t see the screen at work when I’m sitting at a desk and I can’t read it with either the distance glasses or reading glasses so I’m stuffed lol. Maybe I should look at your solution @ProDave  

Hubby had laser treatment on his eyes and went from needing distance glasses 24x7 to not needing glasses for distance at all. BUT he couldn’t read text at all without reading glasses after that. He was warned that it could speed up his need for reading glasses but it was instant. He used to use reading glasses off and on before, but after the treatment he couldn’t see to read at all without them. If we went out for a meal (for example) and he forgot them I had to read the menu for him. It was 20 years ago so maybe things are different now. The upside was that the laser had made his eyes exactly the same so cheap readers were all he needed as his right and left eyes were identical. 

Yup, I had laser surgery 30 odd years ago for distance and was told reading glasses would be needed sooner or later, didn’t mind reading glasses but not having glasses on 24/7 was a no brainier. Now I need bifocals most of the time but been told I am just within the law to drive without them, so don’t. Yes glasses on and off all day which leads to losing them or braking them. ?

23 minutes ago, newhome said:

But now I can’t see the screen at work when I’m sitting at a desk and I can’t read it with either the distance glasses or reading glasses so I’m stuffed lol.

An optician can solve this problem, just ask for mid distance glasses with the neutral focus point set to about 20 inches. Find a comfortable ergonomic typing position then get someone to measure the distance from eyes to screen. I use a large 30" screen hence 20 inches is about right for me, a laptop user might be happier with 18 inches.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, epsilonGreedy said:

An optician can solve this problem, just ask for mid distance glasses with the neutral focus point set to about 20 inches. Find a comfortable ergonomic typing position then get someone to measure the distance from eyes to screen. I use a large 30" screen hence 20 inches is about right for me, a laptop user might be happier with 18 inches.

Thanks! I use both a laptop and large screen but I can see the laptop fine so will concentrate on the large screen. I just can’t believe how things can change so suddenly. 

Do you get a special prescription for them or can they work it out from the existing prescription? 

7 minutes ago, newhome said:

Thanks! I use both a laptop and large screen but I can see the laptop fine so will concentrate on the large screen. I just can’t believe how things can change so suddenly. 

Do you get a special prescription for them or can they work it out from the existing prescription? 

They should be included in the prescription. Mine says:

near: add +2.00 in both eyes
inter: add +1.25 in both eyes

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

Best visit the optician and get these new classes customised for your eyes through an interactive sight test.  I assume the optician will start by reducing the power of your distance glasses using an industry percentage and then fine tune with you through a standard interactive sight test.

• Thanks 1

I have just ordered my first pair of varifocals which should be back in about a week, shall report back.

Currently finding I have to remove my glasses (short-sighted) for near work, which would be fine, except now mid-distance is getting tricky for instance when driving and reading the sat-nav. Oh and when I remove my glasses I keep forgetting where I left them. All faculties dulling with age!

14 minutes ago, richi said:

They should be included in the prescription. Mine says:

near: add +2.00 in both eyes
inter: add +1.25 in both eyes

Just looked - the intermediate section is blank. Near is +1.75. 

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

For some, remember that eye examinations are free in Scotland. Once a year for <16 or >60 or certain conditions, once every 2 years for 16-59s.

https://www.optometryscotland.org.uk/images/docs/patients/guide_eye_examinations.pdf

F

Yep! Had mine done just over a year ago tho. Might change opticians then ;). They are free but quite often you are 'persuaded' to have the enhanced eye exam as I was which was £30. 

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

Just looked - the intermediate section is blank. Near is +1.75. 

Optician did a poor job, IMHO. The correct measurement might be in their records

Edited by richi
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ragg987 said:

I have just ordered my first pair of varifocals which should be back in about a week, shall report back.

Currently finding I have to remove my glasses (short-sighted) for near work, which would be fine, except now mid-distance is getting tricky for instance when driving and reading the sat-nav. Oh and when I remove my glasses I keep forgetting where I left them. All faculties dulling with age!

Hope you get on with them. I just didn't feel safe wearing mine! 

1 minute ago, newhome said:

Hope you get on with them. I just didn't feel safe wearing mine! 

Me too shudder. I sent them back to Glasses Direct and had then reglaze with conventional distance lenses

1 minute ago, richi said:

Me too shudder. I sent them back to Glasses Direct and had then reglaze with conventional distance lenses

I've still got mine awaiting the time when I try them again (that'll never arrive!) :D. Just bought new distance ones instead. 

It came to a head when I was going down some stairs and felt like I was going to fall so had to grab the handrail and cling on before I removed the damn glasses and all was fine again lol. 

After I gave up on mine I asked the guy I worked with who said his were fine how he managed it. He said that he had trained his eyes to stay in one place and never look left or right without moving his head O.o

I must give Glasses Direct a go. If the current pair of specs break it's contact lenses until I get new ones. This pair were £300 'ish I think. Covered in weld spatter, grinding sparks and general building marks. Need to take them off to use the phone / read a paper / tape measure etc. On the plus side my vision is "improving" as I transition from short to longer sight with age. 

7 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Has anyone resorted to getting fitted with glasses with a focal distance set for arms-reach jobs around site?

I ask because over the past two days I have started lying some training courses of bricks on the concrete slab of the garage at home. My regular general purpose glasses prevent me from focusing clearly on the quality of close up mortar joints and my computer glasses, which are set for 20 inches beyond my nose, leave most 3 to 6 feet objects slightly fuzzy.

I took the plunge and had both my eye lenses replaced at the same time Make my work life easier 

I had pretty bad astigmatism 

Now I’ve great distance and close up