Focal correction for mid distance work onsite.

With glasses on, at arms length I can see the 10mm and 20mm marks ('ish) on the tape at arms length. So 15mm is in the middle which I can have a stab at and I'll be a mm or two out. 13 & 17mm gets a bit tricky without taking my specs off or looking over the top. Tbh that makes me feel a bit sick.

Maybe I should just accept a wider tolerance on everything I do? I mean I care less about what I look like now so it's natural progression..

I love my varifocals.  They did take a bit of getting used to but the only time they are an issue now is if the ground is very uneven and I need to watch my feet in detail  Thinking about it that hasn't been a problem for a while either.  

I buy mine when I go to Turkey on holiday.  Free exam including opthamologist exam and the £150 for photochromic, varifocals.  And a free professional polish every time I go back.  AND he remembers my name and asks after my daughter, who was with me the first time I went.

40 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

I love my varifocals.  They did take a bit of getting used to but the only time they are an issue now is if the ground is very uneven and I need to watch my feet in detail 

Had varifocals for over a decade now, I still like to hold onto a banister when going down stairs, feel really old doing that.

Having had my old lenses vibrated, vacuumed out and replaced with new shiny acrylic, I would love glasses that just work.  But got to live wonkey eyesight and a large amount of my left vision missing.

For anyone having their cataracts done, think very carefully what you want from your eyesight.  By default they set your new lenses up for distance, makes reading very hard, especially if you have astigmatisms, binocular instability and a 'lazy eye'.

Oh and the contrast on a screen can be painful after a few minutes.

• Sad 2

I have astigmatism and I am significantly short sighted. I have been told that I am not suitable for varifocals/bifocals. I have a pair of glasses where one lens (the right) is for reading and the other for long distance. Seems to work O.K. for me.

• Like 1

I had a disappointing experience at my local optician recently:-

Me:You’ve got to help me,I keep thinking I’m a moth!!

Optician:I’m sorry to hear that but this is an optician’s shop,you need to see a psychiatrist. 

Me:Yes,I know. 

Optician:Well why did you come in then??!

Me:The light is on.