Cherry Tree Pruning

We've a cherry tree, probably 300mm dia.  A beautiful tree tbh but planted too close to the house. It's roots are lifting the patio even.

It's days are numbered though it provides great shade and when in fruit a buffet for the birds. 

Maybe then this is it's last year. The pressing thing is to prune some overhanging branches that I'm sure the squirrels are using it to get onto (and into?) our roof. 

I've read somewhere pruning cherry trees at the wrong time can introduce a disease of some type but not sure if that's only a particular type of cherry?

Tbh I'm happy to take the chance and neatly trim some branches. Is there anything I can paint on the cut ends of the branches?

It should have been pruned by now but you can still give it a haircut - take the branches back in 2 stages.

Undercut at about a foot or so from the trunk to stop the bark tearing back then cut off a further 6-8” out. When the main limb has dropped then cut the stub back to 1/2” or so with a neat flush cut at the trunk. 

No CAD measurements are required for this activity - just a nice sharp bow saw blade....

Prunus varieties are supposed to be trimmed in summer (when the sap is rising) rather than winter to reduce susceptibility to diseases such as silver leaf; if it's going to be removed anyway it's not going to matter when you prune it.

• Thanks 1