We're in :)

Hi all, 

Been a bit quiet here recently as been focussed on getting a temporary Habitation Certificate and ready to move in. We moved in yesterday - and what a gorgeous day for it. 

Building Control visited two weeks ago for the final drains pressure test, something i was dreading - I could get it up to pressure but it didn't hold for long enough. I filled the system to floor level and the water never budged, so there was no obvious leak - maybe an AAV or trap somewhere? I explained this to the BCO and he was fine with the water level test and suggested maybe air is leaking up through a trap under pressure. I had a problem with the bath trap - a shallow one but actually, doesn't function as a trap at all, so I'm currently trying to find one I can retrofit as access is limited. There's a bit of a story to that (to make @pocsterfeel better) but that's for another thread. We have one bathroom to finish (planning doing that next week), some carpets and flooring to go down and lots of small internal bits to finish. Then over summer lots of external details need completed (window trims, reveals, proper downpipes, coping etc etc), the garage finished and driveway put in. First night way lovely apart from a minor disaster that I've only just recovered. Can't wait to enjoy the house over the summer, watch the wildlife come and go, hopefully get some honey from our bees (they survived the winter), start working on my cars again once I get my ramp and just enjoying the finer things a bit more. 

It's been a great experience, and one we both agree we would do again at some point. Not as big as this one tho, but this is likely to be our forever home. We've been building pretty much for three years non stop, it all seems a bit odd now as we recount all the different stages. Needless to say, we would have struggled a lot without this forum - thank you everyone - there is such a wealth of information here that almost every question can be answered, or nearly, and if not, it's only a few button presses and hours away, so thank you everyone - more often than not it's the basic questions that have been most useful. 

Back to work for me next Monday - I finished in December to focus on the house so back to Mon-Fri 9-5! 

DSC_0368.JPG

DSC_0377.JPG

kitchen.jpg

living.jpg

patio.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vivienz said:

Thrilled for you! How long will you need before it feels like your permanent home and you don't pick up your keys to overnight elsewhere?!

If it was a shitty old cold caravan, NOT BLOODY LONG id say :D:D

Congrats, looks the dogs bollaux !

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

If it was a shitty old cold caravan, NOT BLOODY LONG id say :D:D

Congrats, looks the dogs bollaux !

In our case as soon as I'd made the first cup of tea.

Congrats lads!

You'll probably get the 'small job' blind spot so try and make a list now and tick them off as they get done. 

18+ months in for us and I'm about half way through mine...

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

In our case as soon as I'd made the first cup of tea.

Congrats lads!

You'll probably get the 'small job' blind spot so try and make a list now and tick them off as they get done. 

18+ months in for us and I'm about half way through mine...

I know! We'll keep at it and keep each other motivated!

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

Terrific!

Some really well-chosen colour schemes on show. Let me guess.... you love Paynes Grey       Let me guess further;  #536878 (ish)

The simplicity of line and form, and the lack of clutter does it for me: exactly what we're aiming for.

Thank you - a bit of  variety - we went F&B throughout - and really pleased with the result (I know there's another thread elsewhere!). Dimpse is a common colour throughout, and Ammonite with skirting mainly Manor House Grey. The paint is very odd - it really does change completely with the light and depending on what room. Don't know if I shared this one - Oval Room blue in the middle - I was worried it would be too dark, but we wanted something bold. Worked out nicely. The 'Indian Yellow' on the left divides opinion!

2576.jpg

Just had a peruse of your blog! It's been quite a journey from the leap of faith in the early days and buying something a bit different where planning permission was never a given. Well done guys for persevering and creating something fabulous. Love it! 

• Thanks 1

We used Ammonite a lot in our house, mainly on the west side as it has hints of red that complement the evening light, according to F&B, east rooms should have colours with hints of blue for morning light etc..

Have to confess that we used a local paint shop that mixes the F&B colours, couldn't justify the real thing with the expanse of wall that we have :)