Roof windows

Hi.  Any thoughts on the current front runners in the roof window market?  A look over the old forum suggests Velux and Fakro; any others I should be considering?  Also, most of them appear to be vented; can they be ordered un-vented for use with mvhr?

thanks

Andy

Last time I looked there was little to choose between Fakro or Velux, except for the ease of fitting the insulated flashing kit.  Both can be supplied unvented, AFAIK.  The opening mechanism varies, so worth looking at how the ergonomics of that are going to work in your layout, things like where the handles are positioned and whether it's easy to get at.

When we were looking at fitting a roof window (we opted not to in the end) I found that it was very useful to go and physically examine all the fitting parts.  When I did this it highlighted several issues with the way the insulated flashing fitted, but I think these have now been resolved.  Fakro have been consistently good, ahead of Velux in terms of performance and design for a fair time, but the last Velux I looked at, last summer, seemed to be very similar to the Fakro, and it looked as if Velux had made some significant improvements to their design.

I have a feeling that it may well come down to which best fits your application, though, certainly that was the main issue when we were looking.

You will probably find Keylite are much cheaper than the equivalent Velux or Fakro.

There is not much to choose between any of them. In my utility room I am fitting a Keylite as the u value doesn't really matter, but a triple glazed velux elsewhere in the house

I'm intrigued by the "U value doesn't matter" observation in a warm and damp room.  How do you prevent the window, and, perhaps, more importantly, its frame and surround, becoming a condensation locus?  If anything, I'd have thought that a utility room was more critical in terms of prevention of any cold spot that might act as a condensation locus than any other room in the house, barring a bathroom.

We have the Velux Passive house windows in our build, they are excellent quality and the Integra Touchscreen control is a brilliant bit of kit to use with them, we have a total of 7 in our build, and as the fact they are solar powered makes installation easy.

3 minutes ago, Mikey_1980 said:

We have the Velux Passive house windows in our build, they are excellent quality and the Integra Touchscreen control is a brilliant bit of kit to use with them, we have a total of 7 in our build, and as the fact they are solar powered makes installation easy.

Mike who supplied them as the only Integra ones I can find are mains hookup. 

Roofing superstore, I thought all the Intergra ones were now solar powered with touchscreen controls. I brought ours in December last year as we special ordered 3 in RAL7016 as they woulf be easily viewable against all there other windows. I can highly recomend roofing supeestore for service/cost.

Just tried to check prices on myroofwindow.co.uk following good reviews, to find that trading to the UK is suspended due to the Brexit situation.

A one-off? ..or the tip of the iceberg perhaps...

• 1 year later...

Just going to bump this

I'm in a similar situation and I'm considering the Keylite option, significantly cheaper than VELUX.

What are the major differences to consider given what appears to be price premium with going with the market leader in VELUX?

Also very interested in this. We have already got some fakro quad glazed units off ebay to use up. We are planning on the velux cabrio as they do this in triple glazed as standard while fakro only do it in 2g. But i have being swaying between the other 7 roof windows between velux and fakro both 3g and would like unvented.

Will also have a indepth look at keylite aswell, are they on par with with velux/fakro?