Sockets and switches

nod

We had intended using a good quality brushed steel S&S 

But after watching a recent episode of building the dream The architect talked a couple into using a small profile white Telling them he hated sockets Why would you want to highlight them

Iwas wondering wagat others have done 

We have fitted Schneider Lisse white sockets etc. If you want to fit different looking ones and make a feature of them why not. Just because an architect doesn't like them doesn't mean much. Do what you want to do, it's your house.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

We have fitted Schneider Lisse white sockets etc. If you want to fit different looking ones and make a feature of them why not. Just because an architect doesn't like them doesn't mean much. Do what you want to do, it's your house.

Yes we’ve always had white 

But it sort of made sense what the Architect said 

Our electrician made a simalar comment early on

saying that there is an awful lot of socket and metal will stand out

6 minutes ago, nod said:

Yes we’ve always had white 

But it sort of made sense what the Architect said 

Our electrician made a simalar comment early on

saying that there is an awful lot of socket and metal will stand out

I think metal may date more quickly. I remember when shiny brass sockets were all the rage but they are a bit vintage ;) now. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, newhome said:

I think metal may date more quickly. I remember when shiny brass sockets were all the rage but they are a bit vintage ;) now. 

Yep Exactly ny wife’s point when I sugested chrome origenally

If you're going to have metal sockets, consider a type that has a grey plastic insert where the three pins go, as opposed to white or black. I chose Knightsbridge SS; I think BG also has something similar (but uglier, IMHO).

Also consider a screwless, clip-on plate.

Edited by richi
I have a screw loose
  • Like 1

White plastic will stand out against walls that are not white.

I think there is a tendency to "play it safe". Steel kitchen or door handles and taps do not go out of fashion any more than switches would.

Full disclosure, we have Schneider brushed stainless.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richi said:

If you're going to have metal sockets, consider a type that has a grey plastic insert where the three pins go, as opposed to white or black. I chose Knightsbridge SS; I think BG also has something similar (but uglier, IMHO).

Oh I like the Knightsbridge ones! The BG ones not so much. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, newhome said:

Oh I like the Knightsbridge ones! The BG ones not so much. 

Yeah, there's just something... odd about having the switches on the outside. And those screws really stand out now I'm used to seeing screwless plates every day.

• Like 1

I'm back on good old white MK as I think their quality is back to what it was. A few years ago their terminals I'm sure were made from cottage cheese. 

Sollysta by Hager, Click Mode, GET (now Schneider) you won't go wrong with.

I've fitted the odd bit of Varilight not too bad though had a couple of 20A grid switched disintergrate.

But how about showing the missus these for a Sunday morning discussion you probably don't want!

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/Varilight_Freestyle/index.html

Edited by Onoff
off / odd
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, richi said:

How does that sit with building regs AD minimum-height specs?

The regs are getting so crazy that in a minute the switches and sockets will be one unit as they will all be at the same height! 

• Like 2

I have floor sockets in my large open plan living area for exactly that reason I dont want cables trailing from walls across the floor to the sofa which will be in the middle of the room and I will want a lamp or two around the sofa.  I have wall sockets as usual too.

I went for the floor sockets that contain the plug itself below ground so the its only the cable visible going in through a gap. There is an inset in the socket frame that takes a tile so all you see is a grey frame on the floor.

Edited by lizzie

2 minutes ago, lizzie said:

I went for the floor sockets that contain the plug itself below ground so the its only the cable visible going in through a gap. There is an inset in the socket frame that takes a tile so all you see is a grey frame on the floor.

Needs a photo please :)

• Like 1

I'm going with the Hager Sollysta. Smooth and slim, and the neutral terminal on the lightswitches is darned handy.

/interesting fact- the switch is held onto the faceplate by two small screws, but when removed the switch is identical to their gridswitches...

In our "done before I found this forum else it would have been so different" kitchen, :) we have flat plate, matt black Volex insisted upon by SWMBO.

20180422_093831.thumb.jpg.94981939d7ba355efde9b40981ec909b.jpg

To be fair all the fittings have a nice switch action except for the cooker switch for which I have to back the car up against!

However...the terminals were a pita, very tight.

I've changed most visible plug tops to decent black ones where I can so they stand out less.

Less popular makes will have less range. I couldn't for instance get a neon version of the cooker switch. Then when I wanted a switched fuse outlet with the outlet in a particular place I had to an obscure make as a near match  (Hamilton). I now want some USBs in there. The MKs they now do that would near match are about £60! 

Be aware too if you've used 25mm back boxes that some flat plate stuff won't fit.

I am a fan of Scolmore Click Mode. The ones I use are the simple white ones, which are cheap and not bad looking, and seem reliable and easy to terminate with no issues.  I latched onto these some time ago when I found the switch modules are interchangable, so you can have say a 2G light switch with one of the switches being an intermediate switch.  This is the only make I know that allows that other than grid switches. Click also do fancy ones.

In my daughters bedroom we have BG polished chrome screwless at her choice (and ridiculous expense) that seem okay.  The ones I would avoid as often giving trouble to get a decent termination are some of the LAP ones.

I've stuck with MK for any sockets with USB outlets. Reassuringly expensive is the reason I guess! I'm still not sold on the idea. There was a consumer protection report out a while ago that had some nasty failures detailed.

Have to save up for these :) :

http://www.gil-lec.co.uk/mk-edge-lustrous-black-double-usb-socket-k14343lbkb

Guest Alphonsox
1 minute ago, Onoff said:

I've stuck with MK for any sockets with USB outlets. Reassuringly expensive is the reason I guess! I'm still not sold on the idea. There was a consumer protection report out a while ago that had some nasty failures detailed.

Have to save up for these :) :

http://www.gil-lec.co.uk/mk-edge-lustrous-black-double-usb-socket-k14343lbkb

Still the wrong flavour of USB, you'll be pulling them out within 5 years and replacing them with USB-C types.