Spraying emulsion

nod

I’m hiring a paint sprayer from speedy next week

£105 for the week

Does anyone no the coverage per 10 ltr bucket 

I’ve seen a post from a paint sprayer on here 

Apology’s as I can’t rember the name 

It depends on lots of thing, and coverage could be Half of that or 50% more.

One trick is to buy more paint than you could possible need and take the leftover back.

Suggest starting with this thread, as it is probably the most comprehensive.

Any advice I could give is on that thread, though I am having a 100-150 sqm wall spray painted tomorrow  or Monday and I may post some photographs.

When we are up and running and using the right throughput on my machine to minimise offspray and paint bounceback, we will be using about a litre of paint every 3 minutes or so (which is slow). 

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

Here's the guy putting on the mist coat on our build.

We learnt a couple of lessons from this:

• the overspray goes everywhere that isn't masked off. Our floors have an interesting white finish around the edges
  • the finish on the ceilings is exceptional - too good if anything, as you can't touch it up.

I stood in our living room after it had been done and it was like a white-out. Nothing to focus your eyed onto

Spray painting 2.JPG

I will also copy this piece to the existing advice one linked above.

A couple of pics and a vid of our chap doing the inside of the new gym unit (subject of a separate thread). The unit is about the same height and depth as our Wickes, but with lower eaves and 25% or so of the width.

The guys in the first piccie are the two owners, who are both under 30. I am one of the people who put some finance in 3 years ago. The unit is about 6000sqft and for a gym called Crossfit Hexis moving to a larger unit. Visits can be arranged if anyone wants a better look (but you may have to do a Workout !)

The sprayer is one I bought secondhand on Buildhub last year. Having the longer 15m hose of a something just into the professional range of kit is really worth it for this type of thing where the wall apex is about 10m up.

That wall is about 225sqm, and was done with 4 coats in about 8-10 hours overnight from 5pm Sunday, including messing about with the scaffolding tower etc. Paint used was 40-45l.

Obviously in the context the first two coats were for sealing, and the second two for finish - no piccies yet as they had gone home when I dropped by at 5:30am this morning. So we were not spraying totally for a precision finish with the white - final gym fit out etc happens today, and we open to existing members at teatime. There is also some custom logo-work etc to go on it. Speed was the priority, and most of the wall is some way in the air so will not be examined with a toothcomb.

The bottom part is breezeblock a couple of weeks old; the top is fresh plaster.

Overspray would be an issue (rubber mats already part down), but running polythene roll 3m back from the wall dealt with it. The bit of paint spread around by feet, wheels and hose drag will need more work to remedy - an hour with white spirit will fix that.

There is also a very sweet spot between speed, paint qty and the paint bouncing back - get in that sweetspot and it is 5 times easier. I was strict on using the exact paint I have used before, as sprayers can be temperamental - we used Leyland Trade Contract undiluted. The finish coats are Armstead, so I will be able to comment on that later.

(Note to all: Copyright is asserted and the pics below may mot be reused without permission, licenses from individuals etc).

20180420_220601-s.jpg.132b88f02ca0ed48f87334f99a57f694.jpg

20180422_131114-s.jpg.f12a0611e5a1461a831f507a59d8e297.jpg

20180422_173234-s.thumb.jpg.3fb2433311d15575075b77fb9a1bfc47.jpg

20180422_173243-s.thumb.jpg.277f0fb681425cfc45c46b21f066b98d.jpg

20180422_173218-s.thumb.jpg.fc70265f9fbe602725249f3911062e2c.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand

59 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

The coverage looks thin compared to @RandAbuild above.  Are you doing the upper bits off a tower?  Will you have one spraying and one pushing?  (Obvs a H&S no-no, but so much simpler, especially with a smooth floor)

True, but our top coats are also being sprayed. Also the closeup comparison is raw breezeblock vs plaster which may make the breezeblock cover look less dense.

They did not move the scaffolding with one on board, I believe. They had a pep talk from me on that.

Photo below taken this morning after one top coat at 8:30. The top coat grey is Armstead paint and sprayed OK.

Another coat has been done this am which I have not yet seen. There has been change in the tone on other walls as it goes from repaintable-dry to totally-dry. So we will see how it looks afterwards, and how it looks once the accent graphics are done. It should even out.

20180423_092513-s.jpg.ec9861b4b31200d8dc5b343ba2a48183.jpg

F

Edited by Ferdinand

14 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Looks a nice unit for a Crossfit.  I have never heard of Armstead paint.  What type of paint is the top coat?

This is the stuff. As recommended by our previous landlord, who happen to be a commercial decorating company. They also said it was sprayable, and it is. I think it has been mentioned on BH, but only in passing here on the "Best Value Paint" thread and here on a blog entry.

Previously I came a cropper on a house renovation when Wickes told me that Dulux Easycare was sprayable - not easily, it wasn't, and it took several roller-days instead.

If I was using even a different Armstead product, I would test it first now. Because the consequences of something not being suitable are significant for me.

20180421_122211_paint-type-crop-1.jpg.043bfd1bde620c8c59d57eec7f1dd275.jpg

F

Edited by Ferdinand