OH F**K!

Pocster

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Sorry I thought the skylights were too BIG.

So first photo...hole in slab is massively over size?

The skylight on the right of the hole consists of a really thick black frame and a piddly little window in the middle?

So make the hole smaller? Drill a line of holes into the slab edge, fit studs say M16 and resin anchor them in. Shutter up in ply and recast the edge of the hole.

Yeah I did think of that . But as you say it’s piddly . These are for an underground living space so light is important. ?

1 hour ago, newhome said:

If some of them are larger can you not be creative and fit those in the smaller openings somehow? Or are they not that much larger?

Fraid not . 1 other is a similar size ; the 2 other ones are completely different 

• Sad 1

TBH I think there is fault on both sides.

They knew they were going to sit on up stands .

And yes the drawing has dimensions I signed off. But I think their drawing should of been:

Scan 25.jpeg

Edited by pocster

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Fraid not . 1 other is a similar size ; the 2 other ones are completely different 

That’s crappy. TBH with something like this you would think the company would send very detailed measuring instructions. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yeah I did think of that . But as you say it’s piddly . These are for an underground living space so light is important. ?

Gotcha! The holes right but you're wrong! 

(Takes me a while...).

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Gotcha! The holes right but you're wrong! 

(Takes me a while...).

I agree . But the fact others agree the drawings can be misleading means errors on both sides . The only dimension I could give the company is the size of the holes . Walk on glass sits on it not in it ...

Just now, pocster said:

I agree . But the fact others agree the drawings can be misleading means errors on both sides . The only dimension I could give the company is the size of the holes . Walk on glass sits on it not in it ...

Worth having a go at them then...nothing ventured...

Sorry about the cock-up.  Whose plans did they base their drawing on?  I would be really interested to see a proper section, showing the concrete, insulation, waterproofing, upstand and surface finish if you have such a thing?

Perhaps you could at least get the supplier to make the replacements at the same cost as the originals - even though they will be a fair bit bigger?

1 minute ago, Mr Punter said:

Sorry about the cock-up.  Whose plans did they base their drawing on?  I would be really interested to see a proper section, showing the concrete, insulation, waterproofing, upstand and surface finish if you have such a thing?

Perhaps you could at least get the supplier to make the replacements at the same cost as the originals - even though they will be a fair bit bigger?

I just supplied the hole dimensions that’s it 

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

For when the replacements are arranged, the fitting tolerance between the inner pane and the upstand looks very tight.  Also the upstands do not look very wide - 70mm?  Are they insulated?

50mm non insulated 

15 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I think you will need some insulation to stop the moisture from the warm air in the house condensing on the upstands.

Yeah I was going to insulate the up stand outside and in 

I’ve looked at the drawings again, the plan view shows a glass panel of the dimensions shown on the section,  it bears no resemblance with what they’ve actually supplied. I’d say the fault is entirely theirs. 

Just now, Triassic said:

I’ve looked at the drawings again, the plan view shows a glass panel of the dimensions shown on the section,  it bares no resemblance with what they’ve actually supplied. I’d say the fault is entirely theirs. 

I really hope they see it that way !

• Like 1

Just now, pocster said:

I really hope they see it that way !

I'm hoping they do too! For something as spendy as these windows were if that's all the paperwork you got it's a bit crap TBH! You can alway say you're on a big self build forum ;)

4 minutes ago, newhome said:

I'm hoping they do too! For something as spendy as these windows were if that's all the paperwork you got it's a bit crap TBH! You can alway say you're on a big self build forum ;)

The guy I need to speak to isn’t back until Wednesday. But I shall leverage my position as best I can . Assuming they are really good about this and sort it out am I allowed to mention them here ????

Oh, and post the drawings on here for checking before you order again! ;)

Did you pay by credit card? If so, and the company refuses your claim you could try to claim under the Section 75 legislation as goods not as described. I think you have a decent case in that you told the firm the internal dimensions and that should have ensured that they made the windows with the appropriate external border as they are the experts. Then when the drawings arrived the drawing clearly shows a glass area of the size you ordered with nothing to demonstrate that this included the upstand element too. You can go as far as the ombudsman if you want to but you have to start with the retailer and then the credit card company. 

Fingers crossed you paid by credit card even if just a deposit over £100 as that ensures that you are covered. A general reminder to anyone ordering to try to use a credit card where at all possible even if just for £100 as it should cover you for the whole purchase. 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

Edited by newhome

14 minutes ago, newhome said:

Oh, and post the drawings on here for checking before you order again! ;)

Did you pay by credit card? If so, and the company refuses your claim you could try to claim under the Section 75 legislation as goods not as described. I think you have a decent case in that you told the firm the internal dimensions and that should have ensured that they made the windows with the appropriate external border as they are the experts. Then when the drawings arrived the drawing clearly shows a glass area of the size you ordered with nothing to demonstrate that this included the upstand element too. You can go as far as the ombudsman if you want to but you have to start with the retailer and then the credit card company. 

Fingers crossed you paid by credit card even if just a deposit over £100 as that ensures that you are covered. A general reminder to anyone ordering to try to use a credit card where at all possible even if just for £100 as it should cover you for the whole purchase. 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

Ah yes !

direct bank transfer I am afraid so no cover that way .

But ( assuming they tell me where to go ) I am fully versed in ccj and high court enforcement ?

Ah yes !

direct bank transfer I am afraid so no cover that way .

But ( assuming they tell me where to go ) I am fully versed in ccj and high court enforcement ?

F**k, but CCJ might be a route too. Worth a shot for a few quid if all else fails. Guess you need to wait and see. The company may be lovely about it all. 

Just now, newhome said:

F**k, but CCJ might be a route too. Worth a shot for a few quid if all else fails. Guess you need to wait and see. The company may be lovely about it all. 

Yeah . As a landlord I always assume the worse and hope for the best .....

Yeah . As a landlord I always assume the worse and hope for the best .....

It's called being prepared, as in prior preparation prevents p1ss poor performance :)

Please do put some clothes on before popping round to the county court though ;)

7 minutes ago, newhome said:

It's called being prepared, as in prior preparation prevents p1ss poor performance :)

Please do put some clothes on before popping round to the county court though ;)

I don’t know ; a female judge might like it ... Would be my usp !

I don’t know ; a female judge might like it ... Would be my usp !

Might not just be the female judges you attract :)

You might end up getting sectioned tho ;)

• Haha 1