OH F**K!

Pocster

Oh man!

Walk on glass arrived today!

All along I gave dimensions of the internal opening and referenced them as 'windows'.

I even signed off the drawings - showing the dimensions I thought were internal as across the whole unit!

F**K!. No one at the manufacturer has got back too me - but looks like I'm at fault! - an expensive mistake......

Got 4 in total - some larger than this....

IMG_6816.jpg

Edited by pocster

I feel your pain. When our windows arrived they were all 20mm too large - despite me signing a piece of paper saying they would take 20mm off, they didn't. Well, I reckon they did but too early and so the drafts I ws updating were actuals, not openings. Not that I knew or was advised. 

When I got our skylights they company must have thought I was paranoid because I kept checking what the finds were again and again I. E annotating 'rough opening' on each version so there was no mistake. You'll be feeling sick to the bottom of your stomach no doubt but although it might be a bit early to say, only your bank balance gers hurt (aside from blame where a bit of pride might get bashed). 

My point is, it happens to us all no matter how careful we are. Chin up! 

18 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

I feel your pain. When our windows arrived they were all 20mm too large - despite me signing a piece of paper saying they would take 20mm off, they didn't. Well, I reckon they did but too early and so the drafts I ws updating were actuals, not openings. Not that I knew or was advised. 

When I got our skylights they company must have thought I was paranoid because I kept checking what the finds were again and again I. E annotating 'rough opening' on each version so there was no mistake. You'll be feeling sick to the bottom of your stomach no doubt but although it might be a bit early to say, only your bank balance gers hurt (aside from blame where a bit of pride might get bashed). 

My point is, it happens to us all no matter how careful we are. Chin up! 

You did cheer me up!. I just thought I was a twat!

Sigh!. Wonder what the company will do - take them back and 'discount' the correct sized ones........ (hence charge me again)

Funnily enough when I had the timber frame go up there was meant to be a vaulted ceiling. I had said so in an email so could prove it.

When it went up; there wasn't - their argument was they didn't receive amended drawings i.e. ignoring the email stating it.

Live and learn again!

Guess these will end up in the 'for sale' section soon maybe....

Edited by pocster
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, pocster said:

You did cheer me up!. I just thought I was a twat!

[...]

It doesn't take long - if you read this board enough - to realise that you are in excellent company. Even the Sainted JSH has had his ups and downs (read his blog about the water pipe).

You can lose the cost of them in other expenditure headings. Won't take you long......

1 minute ago, recoveringacademic said:

It doesn't take long - if you read this board enough - to realise that you are in excellent company. Even the Sainted JSH has had his ups and downs (read his blog about the water pipe).

You can lose the cost of them in other expenditure headings. Won't take you long......

Thank you !

out of interest ; you looking for any walk on sky lights ????

I still look at my south facing kitchen window and, as the sunlight spills in,  wonder why the one next to it (east) has a lovely integrated blind and it does not.

Similarly, cocked up on very expensive front door and didn't double check final spec so got too much glass and not enough door so, while it fits, not the effect we wanted.

All part of the self build trade off.

Could be worse you could be this guy...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5637827/Surrey-homeowners-furious-developers-Linden-Homes-700-000-house-smells-poo.html

Oh dear ouch!  If its any comfort some if our windows were the wrong size.....well pretty much all of them actually.  Luckily my wonderful carpenter was on site when fitters were there and he was able to make adjustments to frame.

11 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

I still look at my south facing kitchen window and, as the sunlight spills in,  wonder why the one next to it (east) has a lovely integrated blind and it does not.

Similarly, cocked up on very expensive front door and didn't double check final spec so got too much glass and not enough door so, while it fits, not the effect we wanted.

All part of the self build trade off.

Could be worse you could be this guy...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5637827/Surrey-homeowners-furious-developers-Linden-Homes-700-000-house-smells-poo.html

Oh yes!; I know it can always be worse. Just today other things happened beyond my control (not self build related) ; could of not done with this.

4 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Oh dear ouch!  If its any comfort some if our windows were the wrong size.....well pretty much all of them actually.  Luckily my wonderful carpenter was on site when fitters were there and he was able to make adjustments to frame.

Lizzie I'm sure your build is amazing!

It lacks something......

Walk on sky;ights I believe!! ^_^

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Same with us. Lovely blinds on the downstairs east-facing windows to the kitchen. Nothing on the east-facing upstairs windows to our bedroom and the landing. The landing window is in a double height space, so you can hardly just bung up a curtain!

Actually....

Though I am grasping at straws here is one of the drawings - I think it's mis-leading but rather than lead you lot; can anyone see what I mean before I post what I believe the drawing should be.....?????

@Onoff why an earth do I want to make the hole larger???!!! O.o

@Triassic the thick black frame is meant to sit around the openning i.e. it's the actual part that goes on the up stands.

Scan 24.jpeg

Edited by pocster

Sorry I thought the skylights were too BIG.

So first photo...hole in slab is massively over size?

The skylight on the right of the hole consists of a really thick black frame and a piddly little window in the middle?

So make the hole smaller? Drill a line of holes into the slab edge, fit studs say M16 and resin anchor them in. Shutter up in ply and recast the edge of the hole.

Edited by Onoff