Expanding Foam - which one

PeterW

Can anyone remember the best place to get the expanding foam and the decent guns that doesn't need another mortgage...?

The Sika one looks decent ( but it says high expansion) with free gun and cleaner, seen here

The Soudafoam stuff is cheap, but is it any good..? Or is there not much in it..? Here

Or has anyone got any better links..??

I found the Soudal low expansion foam to be pretty good and easy to control when filling narrow gaps, better than a couple of others I tried.  I used the cheap Screwfix guns and they've lasted for the build, but are on their last legs now, as the teflon coating has worn off the valve and they tend to now gum up and jam if left.  They were OK for a couple of years, though, so that may well be the realistic lifespan of a fairly cheap-ish gun (IIRC they were around £20 each).

• Like 1

I've found Soudal foams to be good as well. I used the low expansion version to seal around all the windows and doors. I've not had problems with guns but I leave the can on the gun all the time with it screwed down tight between using. I have two guns for different types of foam.

I only use Soudafoam Low Expansion and their All Seasons Flexifoam. The low expansion one is great for sticking EPS to concrete btw (thanks Jeremy I think for that).

Guns.....on about number 4 I think varying from S'fix and T'station. The very first one I ever had I messed up by NOT leaving the cleaner in it for the required period when I cleaned it and put it away. I just took the can off and gave it a quick blast through. The other dead ones...wear I guess. I've had them apart but the black Teflon coating as said wears and they leak out of the rear end. 

1 hour ago, DavidFrancis said:

Think it may have been mentioned on Ebuild, but the Screwfix no-nonsense stuff is made by Soudal (see the safety data sheet).

Personally I don't think it's as "dense". Maybe made down to a price? Like some of their "excusive to S'fix" drills that you can't get anywhere else with plastic gears / chuck etc.

• 10 months later...

Bumping this rather than start a new thread.

Can anyone point me to a guide for expansion, and low-expansion foam to use vs suitable applications?

My thumbnail guide is expanding foam for bigger gaps with room to expand, low-modulus less-expanding foam for smaller gaps or where something being pushed out of line would noticeable.

I am also after a recommendation of where to source it - currently I would use NoNonsense from Screwfix.

In my case this is for internal (of the property) use.

Cheers

Ferdinand

I'm using the Soudal foam and it's fantastic stuff. I did buy a decent Fischer gun and have cleaner too - gone through a couple of tins of foam so far and no issues with either gun or valve on the tin if you spray well with cleaner. 

I've had three different guns, each costing about £7 from eBay. Managed to quickly wreck the first two but the third one is a different design and seems more robust, and has now done several months duty. I usually give the end a quick blast of solvent when I'm done.

Has anybody else noticed that Screwfix will deliver normal expanding foam, but not low expansion? Presumably a different solvent or something? It's annoying because my nearest source for low expansion is three hours drive away.

I bought a gun from Screwfix and it's lasted over two years and about twenty cans of foam (used a lot when applying EPS to walls of basement). Have never cleaned it, just keep it screwed tight and attached to a can - even after 6 months it works fine when you knock the dried tip off!

I found www.abbuildingproducts.co.uk to be pretty decent for buying bulk Soudal LE, they're also happy to deliver.