Trades Folk Sayings

16 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Our chippy:  'Nobody needs an emergency skirting boards

Fred Dibnah: ' Ah'd be goin' to spend half a day wi' 't undertekker, else. '

Me:  'How much? '

Yours?

Rik Of eye twist of gob

Cutting steel we used to have "make ups", a deliberate overlength supplied long and to be cut on site. It would be marked as "MUP" on the drawings. 

Working with some lads from Wigan and they kept referring to what sounded to us like "them funnyfuts". Same as a make up it turned out, short for "funny f***er to cut".

Then we contracted a load of painters from 'upt North". Let loose in London they were complete with knotted hankies on their heads. Their eyes were on stalks at all the attractive girls in the City and they kept remarking to there being "plenty 'o grumble down 'ere".

Turned out it was rhyming slang!

:ph34r:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Cutting steel we used to have "make ups", a deliberate overlength supplied long and to be cut on site. It would be marked as "MUP" on the drawings. 

Working with some lads from Wigan and they kept referring to what sounded to us like "them funnyfuts". Same as a make up it turned out, short for "funny f***er to cut".

Then we contracted a load of painters from 'upt North". Let loose in London they were complete with knotted hankies on their heads. Their eyes were on stalks at all the attractive girls in the City and they kept remarking to there being "plenty 'o grumble down 'ere".

Turned out it was rhyming slang!

:ph34r:

I served my apprenticeship with a Wigan company

and the boss used to say 

Go on tell me your Lerm didn’t go off this morning 

When I was labouring for the brickie doing our extension in London he'd refer to a bag of cement as a "bag a' dust" and when I'd mixed a particularly good batch of mortar he'd say "ooh it's like creme de menthe" (pronounced "monf" obviously). Not sure whether they are well known terms - or if he was just a complete nutter...

It’s always been dust to me (born & bred Southerner) & the finished product (I.e. mortar) is muck. 

Not compo. 

Not gobbo. 

Not mud (Antipodeans!).

Muck. 

That is all from a grumpy & unwell Brickie,overjoyed at the prospect of a week’s repointing in Covent Garden with a co worker whose halitosis could rake the old muck out on its own. 

Good night :))

• Sad 1