Can design go too far?

jaluky

I think there is certainly a risk of architecture for art/architectures sake where it would look great on the architects portfolio, but doesn't necessarily make it better to live in for the client... not cheap!

• Thanks 1

Our house has a similar materials palette, but reads as three simple cubes. Hopefully that will stand the test of time better than something as fussy (in my amateur opinion) as the house above.

1 hour ago, jaluky said:

When you design your property do you consider the consequence of making it too 'ARTY'. A property near where I live has adopted the popular 'GREY' look which is current but is it future proof?

a selfbuild.jpg

No, you must keep pushing designs. Keeps the brain ticking over! 

&

Love it! 

Repainting that big white wall on the left might be fun access wise though.

Where is it? The topography half reminds me of Austin Lodge Golf Course local to me which was sold for development of a private house(s).

Edited by Onoff

Austin Lodge is a great golf course, nestled in the valley and playing my military golf, left...right....left most electric carts batteries go flat lol...some great comments on the design aspect. As a builder I used to love the unusual aspect of a project...a feature or something quirky but curves and obtuse angles make it harder to furnish. Farnborough Park is a great example of great looking bungalows being very profitable as surrounding properties showed what can be done, so if you really want to make money, build something comfortable on a great plot and wait for the designers to do their thing making your plot extremely attractive as Mr Money say's..."This is what he should have built" 

I see lots of same-old modern houses in the UK, that basically look like busy versions of what the modernists started not that far off a century ago. I have very little emotional reaction to most "modern" houses built in this country. I say that as someone who's built a fairly low-key but very modern house.

For comparison, Japanese architects (and their clients) seem much more willing to push the boundaries to deliver truly interesting buildings. That said, I do suspect that this is driven as much by planning laws as taste.

• Like 1