Bramble and how to get rid is it

Our garden is slowly being overrun by brambles.  A neighbour suggested weed killer, so we sprayed a test area last year and although it died back it didn’t eradicate it, so it’s growing back again this year. Any suggestions as to how to get rid of it!

Dig them out if possible, after cutting/strimming down the top growth. then anything that comes up, hit with a spray of SBK.  You need a systemic weedkiller that gets right down into the roots.  Glyphosate is the mian checmical used and does work but it takes a couple of weeks for it to get right through the root system.

24 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I also have brambles and was told constant mowing will see it off ( I hope so!)

That will kill all weeds eventually, the trouble is not all places are accessible to a lawn mower. Even strimming can be difficult depending on the surroundings.

I know it's bad, but I use R*****p (Glyphosate based). I read it's best to do it in Autumn, and that's what I did last year. I make up a solution in a sturdy container and drape the brambles, leaves etc inside it for a few days. Cover and make sure no chance of tipping over. After that, take it out and drape it on plastic sheeting to dry off. Then it takes about a month or so to die!

Would like to know what SBK is, best I can tell is that Peter is suggesting you host a round of the World Superbikes in your back garden? I guess that would work...

11 minutes ago, joe90 said:

My field is also full of marsh grass ( needs land drains) and dock, I might invest in a flock of goats ( in wellies) ?

Well im going to f****** nuke any Himalayan Balsam that I find this year. I’m not having that come up through the lawn. 

I might actually try to transplant my brambles to the other side of the garden. A) they’ll get more sun and better fruit B) will offer some prickly security along a low fence and C) fight off the H B.

I think one routine with brambles is cut via a strimmer or brushcutter then weedkill with a weed killer that penetrates to the roots when th3 new shoots hav3 grown a bit.

Brambles were done at a former house by pulling them up wearing leather gloves.

Ferdinand

38 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Brambles were done at a former house by pulling them up wearing leather gloves.

And decent gloves at that. I tried this with brambles at ours and found out the hard way that the cheap pair of leather gloves I had lying around wasn't up to the job ¬¬