Efflorescence

Hecateh

My bricks have horrible efflorescence, The builder has cleaned it off a few times but it keeps coming back - and of course he isn't going to be here anymore after this week.  Will it get better on it's own or am I stuck with this horrible looking wall.  

20180418_183158.jpg

20180418_182920.jpg

22 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

It will go after a while.

I hope so it looks horrible.  The side facing this house isn't so bad, it faces North.  The bad one faces south - is that part of the reason

1 minute ago, Brickie said:

I’d say rainwater has got in the cavity. In an ideal world the cavity would always be covered up but it’s not always possible if the inner & outer leaves are at different heights when they go home. 

Mmm - they only covered up if bad frost was forecast. The open cavities, filled with rockwall were rained on and snowed on so I would definitely say the cavity got wet. 

Can anything be done or do I just have to wait

You can clean it with brick acid but it's nasty stuff. Best bet is let it sit for maybe 18months and let it fully dry out and then see how it looks.

Going by the way the staining is I would say the bricks got wet when they where stacked up probably due to not being covered.

• Thanks 1

I have exactly the same, the west wall, which faces the Atlantic and all the rain it produces has got this on it. When I core drilled for the ASHP I found the rock wall on the outer inch or so was wet but it had not migrated further inward ( as was promised by the manufacturer). My builder suggests a breathable coating is put on this wall at the height of the summer when it’s all dried out. I have just gone down and put my hand in the cavity and the rock wall is dry already ?, bodes well I think.

Always seems prevelant in spring. Usually goes in newbuilds after 2 or 3 years. Worse if fairy has been used as opposed to plasticiser. Also if rainwater has got in as has been said. Chill it's not permanent!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hecateh said:

My bricks have horrible efflorescence, The builder has cleaned it off a few times but it keeps coming back - and of course he isn't going to be here anymore after this week.  Will it get better on it's own or am I stuck with this horrible looking wall.  

20180418_183158.jpg

20180418_182920.jpg

It’s mealey Salt in the brick

our current is a simalar brick to yours

We would simply jet wash it off

It stoped coming after about ten years

arrest are building near our plot

Using a light coloured brick and all the houses are caked in the stuff

Tgey cleaned them all off about a month ago but they are starting to show white patches again

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nod said:

Tgey cleaned them all off about a month ago but they are starting to show white patches again

It was all cleaned off last week and has come back.  Builder has said he will clean it off again before he goes but says it probably will come back

6 hours ago, Hecateh said:

It was all cleaned off last week and has come back.  Builder has said he will clean it off again before he goes but says it probably will come back

Yes I used to do mine at the beginning of Sumer and it would stay pretty clean But once the cold wet weather arrived It was back

In the ninetys There was an estate that near us either several hundred houses that was badly effected 

I think if there was a way of stoping it coming back the mainstream builders would use it

I think I'd try a test patch with some Thompsons Water Seal, says it can help:

https://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatalog/Thompsons_Water_Seal_Improved_Formula_COSH.pdf

Only slight worry is whether that efflorescence is "water" that needs to come out of the structure over time...

(I rate the stuff but have only ever used it tbh on concrete fence posts of all things! They last far longer imo than if left as is. Got some I put in 30 years ago and they're like new). 

There was a thread on here a while back with someone suffering staining on their chimney, I think I put up another product for consideration?

EDIT: This thread, Stormdry product link within:

Edited by Onoff

Have heard people speak of bicarbonate of soda as a solution,but I can’t vouch for its effectiveness & would urge caution & LOTS of research before applying anything. 

As has been said,it’s a pain but will go away in time. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Brickie said:

Have heard people speak of bicarbonate of soda as a solution,but I can’t vouch for its effectiveness & would urge caution & LOTS of research before applying anything. 

As has been said,it’s a pain but will go away in time. 

+1 to the above, the brickies here mentioned bicarbonate of soda. 

Hecateh what has your builder used?

10 minutes ago, Luckylad said:

+1 to the above, the brickies here mentioned bicarbonate of soda. 

Hecateh what has your builder used?

He just said an acid wash.  Looking online at a few it seems that hydrochloric acid is what is used.

He uses it in a power washer

17 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

He just said an acid wash.  Looking online at a few it seems that hydrochloric acid is what is used.

He uses it in a power washer

Disclean is what I have.....

Lethal idea I'd say plus you would use loads of it :( .

Brush it on. Maybe jet wash it off but a hose should do. Put it this way it'll take dried on cement off a shovel so imagine what it'd do to your skin, EYES etc. Gloves, apron,  face shield etc a must. 

Access now on yours will be a bitch so I think I'd leave it for a good while and see what happens.

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Disclean is what I have.....

Lethal idea I'd say plus you would use loads of it :( .

Brush it on. Maybe jet wash it off but a hose should do. Put it this way it'll take dried on cement off a shovel so imagine what it'd do to your skin, EYES etc. Gloves, apron,  face shield etc a must. 

Access now on yours will be a bitch so I think I'd leave it for a good while and see what happens.

I'm fine to leave it - he isn't - he's already done it a couple of times